Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perfect poached egg

Re: Perfect poached egg

yeh, yeh, I know - real fair dinkum blokes like you guys wouldn't even dream of eating quiche. Sheeesh! #I already explained that what I was saying wasn't so much about camping as trying to get poached eggs that at least looked #edible. Mumble, mumble. There orta be a finger smilie

Tony

Tony,

I would say that the eggs on your pics look just fine.
    Better than edible.

I would add a few drops of Maggi souce and they would be perfect.

To anybody who critisizes I would just say: Show me yours!!!

So far you are winning this poached egg thingy hands down.

Now a question regarding from a post up this thread:

"Anyway the Rolls Royce method works a treat. I had 2x 800grammers this AM on toast with diced tomato garlic and basil."

Is that a typo (800grammers) or you guys have some serious sized chickens down under??????????

Ok, OK pics to come. As soon as I get back from a weeks camping at Burrum Heads (and cooking true poached eggs for breakfast)
    Cheers Freeeedom

Phew, thanks Szopen - I was starting to feel like a bit of a Mary Mate, the 800grams is for the dozen, each egg guaranteed to be in excess of 67 grams.

goodonya freeeedom - remember now, no modcons like stoves or toasters or plates or knives and forks and saucepans or axes for the wood or matches - I'd like to see the REAL BLOKE'S poached eggs without all the flash "modern" equipment (just shitstirring )

Tony

finga64

Gees Tony, bung about 1/4kg bacon and some mushies on that and I'll come down from Brissy for breaky...as long as you have a nice cup of tea and some thick toast to go with it.

P.S. we have quiche all the time..The cook is french

I brought my mum one of those electric poachers when I first started work all those years ago. She still has it and still uses it every Sunday.

A newby on here, but an oldy in the general scheme of things.
    Just wanted to say (without offence) that the little gadgets with a handle to cook an egg over water dosn't produce a "poached " egg, but a "coddled" egg.
    The true chef's poached egg is the one slightly cooked in its shell first then gently broken into simmering and stirred water. This produces an almost egg shaped result. Looks the goods, but dont taste any better!
    Can't beat a couple of poached eggs on fire toast for a great start to the days fishing.
    mikl.

Gorilla_in_Manila

By jove ..... I think she's got it!
    No camera pressure during the cooking.

Looks good.

Yeh Jeff - that looks the goods alright. Given what Miki said, I think your missus now wears the crown undisputed. I do prefer coddled eggs though

Tony

Howdy Guys,

good to see that the topic is still getting replys. Just got back from a week long business trip and I had poached eggs Every Day while I was away. Never got a chance to slip into the kitchen to see how they were done but were great

BTW gorrilla, mums got it. Such a work of art, seems a shame to slice the little sucker up

how many attempts did it take to get that one.

Cheers

Steven
    Cheers

Steven

Gorilla_in_Manila

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Yo
    BTW gorrilla, mums got it. Such a work of art, seems a shame to slice the little sucker up

how many attempts did it take to get that one.

Cheers

Steven
    Steven, my wife actually, but thats the first time I've had poached eggs again since the previous post. The second egg wasn't quite so perfect, but still pretty good. Seems as long as I don't apply the camera pressure, all ok.

Yes it looked great, but it tasted great also.

Was talking about this thread with a mate over a few beers yesterday arvo (yeah yeah, I know I gotta get a life.. ) and he was telling me about the most fantastic poached eggs this other chef mate of his does back in aus. Started telling me this method of cracking the egg into a bowl of refrigerated water first, then using a special spoon to tranfer it to the simering water.
    Well, we had had a few beers and he was a bit vague on the directions, so not too sure whether I want to have a go at that. But it got me thinking that cooling the eggs first might help them to hold togther when you pour them into the simmering water. Our bum nuts are kept in the fridge, so that might help in keeping it well formed when the missus releases it for a swim.
    Just a thought for anyone having a go at this.
    Hope to see some others attempts soon.

Cheers
    Jeff

My samples as promised. Sorry - all out of bacon
    Cheers Freeeedom

White just set, yolk nice and runny. Yummmm!!!!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Yeh Freeeedom, you weren't just blowin'. You know your stuff. These are beeudiful! Now what about sharing the technique? How do you get those nice round edges without some sort of containment? Did the whites get a little trim before the pic?

No Tony - the secret is to get a really good swirl going so that you get a nice whirlpool, then drop the egg gently into the middle of the vortex. (I actually cooked these in a small saucepan to get the good presentation for the photo). The whirlpool holds the egg tightly together while it sets and you get the nice clean look. The little bit of extra white you can just see but it's only a tiny bit. Note that I didn't rate these eggs as terribly fresh but they still turned out OK
    Cheers Freeeedom