Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Mackeral

Re: Cooking Mackeral

Thanks for all the ideas.My wife decided to try the honey and soy sauce mix.It was absolutely beautiful.

Mack is a good fish for putting in a marinara because it holds its shape. Reefie flesh falls to bits, and anyway it seems a shame to dilute a reefie’s flavour with all that strong sauce.
    A quick way to cook a marinara is to use a couple of tins of roma tomatoes, add onion, garlic, chilli, butterflied green prawns and mack cubes. When it’s pretty much cooked stir in half a tub of cream. Serve with fettuccine and top it off with cracked pepper and parmesan.
    Yeah, some women actually know a thing or two about fishing. Who knew?
    http://alchemyfishing.blogspot.com.au/?m=1

wayne_cook

all suggestions good.NICE fresh. DON"T overcook as previously stated.

Fillett, place skin down on cutting board, slice at 45degree angle about 25mm thick, dip in mix of wasabi and terryaki then on to a hot BBQ plate

Serve with fresh greek salad and cold beer

From The Newby recipe book and I have eaten it many times.
    Cut into cutlets.
    Dip in plain flour
    dip in egg
    now into seasoned flour this time and then into a fry pan, low heat, cook slow in butter. NOT MARGERINE. Marg is 1 molecule short of plastic and stuffs the taste up. Must be butter. After your fish is cooked, heat pan a bit more and pour in a small amount of red wine, yes RED wine and deglaze the pan. let it simmer and reduce, add a bit of lemon juice and pour over the fish. Serve with salad.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Thank you all for your cooking suggestions.I'm sure i will try all of them

Yummmmmmmackeral!!!
    Lets face it, if they are looked after, (bled then iced) they are tops. Just to put my two bob's worth in for cooking them the lazy fisherman way:
    1. Cut the fillets into finger food sizes (I won't even mention cutlets Peee UUUU)
    2. Whack some alfoil on the griller
    3. Put the fillets down
    4. Grate some cheese over the top
    5. Pour over some freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
    6. Turn the griller onto high
    7. Send the missus out for some chips (I told you - the lazy fisherman's way!)
    8. Haul them out when the cheese has browned nicely and tuck in .

The fillets cook all the way through, you crumple up the alfoil and throw it in the bin with the paper from the chips and ..... best of all.... it tastes bl##dy fantastic!!! To Easy.

Mark

Mackeral always tastes better with skin off, IMO, and filleted...tastes totally different than steaks (better).

Nodule, I have tagged and released mackeral, and they are very hard to keep alive, I find it almost impossible to T&R a well hooked fish and expect it to survive.

Red fish are yummo, but mackeral are just as good.

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

they can be eaten cooked on the bbq very good but dont eat a ciguteror mackerel from harvy bay you wont do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by roz
    Mackeral always tastes better with skin off, IMO, and filleted...tastes totally different than steaks (better).

Nodule, I have tagged and released mackeral, and they are very hard to keep alive, I find it almost impossible to T&R a well hooked fish and expect it to survive.

Red fish are yummo, but mackeral are just as good.

Roz
    Roz, have to agree to disagree on this one, I have never had problems releasing mackeral after capture, as long as you get them in quick and swim them correctly, even the 20kg plus models.

IMO redfish---mackeral # #chalk and cheese , they really should not be mentioned in the same sentence, pays to have everybodys taste in fish differing otherwise we all would be chasing the same species for the table.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Cheers # Nodjule

When I cook the fillets I leave the skin on. They dont dry out as much that way and then remove the skin after they are cooked.

nono wat we do.. we season it with some salt and curry powder. then pan fry it un til the edges are a bit burnt...
    totally delicious

tshort

PP are you realy talking about bowel juices here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic
    Mack is a good fish for putting in a marinara because it holds its shape. Reefie flesh falls to bits, and anyway it seems a shame to dilute a reefie’s flavour with all that strong sauce.
    A quick way to cook a marinara is to use a couple of tins of roma tomatoes, add onion, garlic, chilli, butterflied green prawns and mack cubes. When it’s pretty much cooked stir in half a tub of cream. Serve with fettuccine and top it off with cracked pepper and parmesan. #
    Why is it that when you order a marinara in America, they don't put fish in it? Its just done in a tomato-based sauce? Same reason as they call a main course an entree I suppose

Got to agree with Hager. I have fished for mackeral for most of my 52 years and was never real keen on them to eat, only ever cut them into steaks. About 2 years ago we started to fillet and skin and trim any red meat away, now they are up there with my favourite fish----coral trout included. When you catch them, bleed and put into ice slurry this not only makes for better eating but sets the flesh so they are much easier to fillet and skin. By the way here on the MNC of NSW we tend to rightly or wrongly call them snook... both spotties and barries. After you have filleted them cut the frames into sections and stick em under the grill and eat them cold the next day------bloody bewdifull