Thread: Cooking Bonito .... ?

Cooking Bonito .... ?

Now I know that the bonito is legal .... 66 cm's. What's the best way to cook it.
    Any ideas would be great

NeilD

Re: Cooking Bonito .... ?

I would try and turn it into Tailor or Snapper

Bundy_Burp

Try the following

Grilled Bonito:

One 4-8 pound bonito (or bigger if you can catch one!). One clean grill, good and hot.

Fillet and skin the bonito. Bonito have a row of large bones running down the center of the fillet essentially quartering the fish. You'll end up with what look like tenderloins - similar to what bluefin cuts look like in the fish market, although on a miniature scale. Once you've got your tenderloins, you're ready to grill.

Brush the hot grill surface with olive oil, and rub the fish with the oil as well. Season the fish well with a bit of sea salt. Place the fish on the grill, searing the meat. Turn and mark each side of your Bonito on the hot grill. By the time each side has been well marked, the bonito should be done.

Sounds great bundy,

best served with cold beer or bundy or both..??

Donna were getting hungry......awaiting your call.

cheers andy

Well thanks for your informative reply Horse ....... NOT !!!

Bundy_burp, that sounds great. So just grill them like any other fish.
    I'll be cooking the fillets for dinner tomorrow night so might try a few things with the different fillets.

Thanks for your ideas !!!

chanquetas

Smoke it. Without doubt!

It's an extremely oily fish (thus the flavour the fillets emit which makes it such good bait), so to reduce the oily overtaste marinate in tamarind liquid mixture, my favourite is a couple tablespoons of tamarind water, squirt of soy sauce, some brown sugar, some chopped coriander, marinate the fillets in it then fry them. It is sort of miraculous how the tamarind takes away the flavour that would otherwise make you turn your nose. Good for mullet too. Indian and Japanese coastal cultures eat this fish a lot and the way they prepare it you would never guess it is bonito.

Ausfish Bronze Member

I like to cook the bonito by frying it the same way as Bundy_Bear with a slight difference. I fillet the fish and then simmer it for about 5 minutes. This helps to get some of the oil out and it helps to stop the flesh from showing the dark colour that is so prevalent with tuna, bonito, mullet etc. I personally enjoy the dark meat but my wife wont eat it if the dark is showing. The flavor of bonito is really super. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them. After simmering, fry the fillets as Budy_Bear does. YUM YUM!
    Eagle

Don't cook it..............

Cover fillets in sea salt for 8 hours. Wash off salt with vinegar and then lay in vinegar for 1 hour. Cut into bite sized slices and dip into a mixture of grated ginger and soy and sake. You will never eat cooked bonito again. Sashimi style

mackerel is another good one. The fish must be bled immediatly and placed on ice. eat ASAP........FRESH IS BEST

The salt takes out the fishy smell as well as removes all bacteria. The vinegar is for taste

Quote Originally Posted by Horse
    I would try and turn it into Tailor or Snapper
    you made me laugh funny stuff

Great ideas! Personally, I love bonito fillets done in the smoker, then skinned, cooled down, served with a littlebit of horseradish and a coldie!!

Bonito are one of the few white fleshed tuna & worth the effort.

Fillet, skin & then cut out the red meat along the lateral line.

Flour, egg wash & bread crumbs then into the frypan but don't over cook.

I like a squeeze of lime juice or lemon. Nothing wrong with trying something different once in a while.

If it fails to impress, they are one of the best towing baits around.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazi-kev
    Don't cook it..............

Cover fillets in sea salt for 8 hours. Wash off salt with vinegar and then lay in vinegar for 1 hour. Cut into bite sized slices and dip into a mixture of grated ginger and soy and sake. You will never eat cooked bonito again. Sashimi style

mackerel is another good one. The fish must be bled immediatly and placed on ice. eat ASAP........FRESH IS BEST
    A slight variation is to cut the fish into bite size pieces cover with lemon juice and white vinegar. Add a few slices of ginger, cucumber and red capsicum, for colour effect. Bung the dish in the fridge for 1 hour, then eat. another slight variation is to get some pickled onions, cut up into slices, bung the fish pieces and other ingredients as above, into a decent bowl NOT metal, add the pickled onion juice to just cover the top of the ingedients and bung it in the fridge for 1 hour then serve up.

R_K_HILL

I'll have a bundy and watch you all eat it!