Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking snapper

Re: Cooking snapper

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    Alleycat,

You're right, snapper doesn't deserve the reputation as a great eating fish, that's why I call them Coffs Harbour vermin. Great looking fish & thats about it.

I always give them away to my neighbours.

r.

the coffs harbour vermin must be full of silt or something beacuse the snapper up here on qld reefs are sennnnnsational.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Guts View Post
    the coffs harbour vermin must be full of silt or something beacuse the snapper up here on qld reefs are sennnnnsational.
    My goodness Roz you are spoilt rotten to be calling Snaps "Vermin" But I guess when you catch as much variety as you do, you can afford to be fussy!!

I do notice the flesh a little dry if I try cook them for my kids just as if they pulled the fillets out of the box in the freezer. That's the only way they eat fish! I do prefer the oven method occasionally.

Scalem

stuff mango inside and cover with coco nut milk wrap in alfol and cook on bbq

I find the easiest way is to place a fillet in foil with some ground kaffa lime leaves or fruit zest and sweet chili sauce. Put on BBQ and remove when steam comes out of the foil fold on top. No need to turn as the fillet is steamed in the juices.

Cheers
    John

Well ive tried them lots of ways now and rate snapper as just plain ordinary and way over rated, i think real fresh sea mullet might even top them, the birds eye crumbed dory i the box is dam good tucker as well. cheers.

If overcooked or too big it can end up pretty ordinary, and like most fish I reckon it deteriorates pretty fast when frozen. I just fillet and fry in butter, salt and a bit of cracked pepper, then deglaze your pan with some verjuice (magie beer's is best) add some capers ( washed salted capers NOT the crappy pickeled ones) let it rest for a few mins off the heat with the lid on, on a plate place a salad made of steamed skinned kipfler potatoes coated with aioli and a green salad of spinach leaves, rocket, parsley, basil, steamed beans and red onion with or without a simple lemon dressing. place your fish on top and pour on your deglaze.