Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What have you smoked??

Re: What have you smoked??

Hi Panda,

we are all talking HOT smoking here, but I would love to play with cold smoking, except I live in an apartment, so starting a fire on the balcony would definitely be against the rules. My little galvanised smoker for $50 works well but I can easily see that the old kero tin would do just as good a job.

I think that the next one I get will be stainless, however, but still a small unit that can be taken anywhere.

The stainless steel bowls are multi-purpose, relatively cheap and easy to clean up with a bit of sand and seawater. We use them for all kinds of things when camping from smoking fish, to washing up to catching rainwater.

Derek_Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by fish2eat
    Hi Panda,

we are all talking HOT smoking here, but I would love to play with cold smoking, except I live in an apartment, so starting a fire on the balcony would definitely be against the rules. My little galvanised smoker for $50 works well but I can easily see that the old kero tin would do just as good a job.

I think that the next one I get will be stainless, however, but still a small unit that can be taken anywhere.
    The Southern Metal Spinners one on my post folds down to a very small package.

Derek

Chicken, beef, pork, sausages, camembert, to name a few.

My favouite is fresh mackeral spinkled with fresh ground black pepper and with a nob of butter rubbed into it. only needs a short time and yum yum yum.
    If you have any left over( unlikely) try this
    put a small fillet of smoked mackeral in a food proceesor and wizz it with some(4-6) small pickled gerkins the tiny ones smaller than your little finger ,1 small fresh onion(chopped fine) the littlest ones; and a dessertspoon of capers, and a couple of spoons of "S&W whole egg mayonaise" (optional ; chopped italian parsley & or finely chopped chillies)
    put this mackeral pate in a bowl in the fridge to chill and serve with something crisp, bickies, corn chips , pita bread, etc etc.

OH and heres a twist for the bizarre among you ;
    lightly smoke some fresh pineapple chunks ( a nice sweet juicy one) spinkle with a small twist of pepper from the pepper mill and serve while still warm with vanilla ice cream.
    and If anyone can beat that for original ill eat my hat

I think the hat will be safe mate....

I played around with smoking food a lot when i had my restaurant .
    For this kind of smoking Panda is right brine etc is unneccessary, just season the item to taste.
    A film of oil or butter helps the smoke flavour adhere.
    Dont smoke things for too long, most things only need 10-15 minute exposure to smoke to get a nice flavour.
    One of the reasons food was smoked was to preserve it ( read prevent bacteria from growing) #thats because smoke is toxic and full of carcenogens and other nasties, thats why you should go light on the smoke and dont eat too much of the stuff.
    Tastes great though ,dont it
    rando

Caught some eel's dow3n the Ross River with the young fella the other day that we hot smoked on the Webber and they where pretty good i can tell you...there pretty easy to catch with pealed prawn,pilchard pieces etc anywhere along the bank in the fresh water sections of the River.....

Hi Rando rather than eat your hat you may be better of smoking it.
    i'm definately going to try the pineapple next time camping.
    we use lots of the various master foods seasonings on our smoked fish.
    these are great for taste competitions between camps.

Spot on Panda, we do our smoking in a big wok with a lid and it is also really good for steaming crabs and prawns.
    Years ago we did our own smoking of bacon and hams in a cold smoker using corn cobs. The cobs were placed in a 44 gallon drum and the cold smoke went up a G.I. down pipe to the hessian lined smoke house.
    From memory it took a week or more to cure a ham and side of bacon.
    The raw meat was pumped and laid in a brine tank for days and then drained before smoking. We only killed in the winter and the meat was all ok. Fridges were yet to come.

Have fun, "Haji Baba"

freddyfish

Some blue mackeral marinating

freddyfish

smoking

NeilD

When camping we have used either a wok or camp oven. Almost anything will work. You can even use Banksia cones if you forgot the sawdust
    Try a brush with Kejap Manis for a quick seasoning for fish

Neil

Ausfish Addict

Did a Turkey Yesterday 3.2 kg, never cooked one before, and it come up a treat, so much so, that 3 of us ate half the bird for dinner with vegies, i have been slowly picking through the other half today. Buurrrp.

Don't muck around with metho, just sit the smoke cooker on the gas bbq grill. Trouble with metho is that if the meat is thick, like a 7 or 8lb salmon, the metho is never enough. Doesn't have to get very hot for the saw dust to smoulder.

With the barbie you can cook as long and slow as you like, but Panda is right, you are cooking rather than slow cold smoking.

Red gum shavings are my fav. Can't believe people pay money for hickory etc when we have such delightful tree flavours in Oz. Even woolworths sells red gum smoked ham these days. I brough a special red gum fence post up to darwin with me that I knock shavings off with an electric plane. Removalists thought I was nuts.

There is a particular Ti tree in Arnem land that has the most amazing flavour when cooked with meat I willI am going to smoke some buffalo backstraps shortly.

pete

Quote Originally Posted by rando

One of the reasons food was smoked was to preserve it ( read prevent bacteria from growing) #thats because smoke is toxic and full of carcinogens and other nasties, thats why you should go light on the smoke and dont eat too much of the stuff.
    Tastes great though ,dont it
    rando
    -----------

Hi Rando,
    I too have read that the smoke particles adhering to smoked fish which give it that delicious flavour are potentially carcinogenic. Sh*t! Everything that tastes good seems to be bad for you now a days.

Re the the preservative qualities of smoking,-- it doesn't have anything to do with the toxic affect of the smoke, but rather applies only to the cold smoking method which relies on salting and dehydration.