Thread: "Grunter" Bream for the table

"Grunter" Bream for the table

Got a nice Grunter the other day near Coochin creek(Pumistone Passage Qld) was caught and cooked within 3hrs.It went straight onto ice after being boated. Cooked in olive oil and butter.My problem is that it was a bit on the tough side,I thought that it may have be slightly under done but even at the tail end it was still tough on the chew,is this normal for these fish as i would have to rate them as a low table quality fish.
    Cheers
    Barry
    Take photos and memories leave only footprints, respect the enviroment when 4 wheel driving , never be too busy to help out someone in need.

Re: "Grunter" Bream for the table

Grunter are top class table fish.
    Don't know what happened with yours.
    Have had them up to about 4kg and never had a tough one.
    Kev

bidkev

Yeah, top tucker, and I've never had a tough one.

kev

You've caught one of the wing mistresses at my old boarding school, reincarnated as a fish.

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Thanks for the replies to all, must have been under cooked as it was tasty and all that I have spoken to have said the same as above .
    Cheers
    Barry
    P.s. Merry xmas
    Take photos and memories leave only footprints, respect the enviroment when 4 wheel driving , never be too busy to help out someone in need.

Had same trouble and found cutting thinner and battering or crumbing was better.

I baked mine in oven in butter will alfoil over the top of baking dish big enough for the size of fish you have... This makes it sort of steam in the butter...yummm....Just keep checking for right cooking time by testing the thickest part of fish.after the eye has turned white of cause.

I catch Grunter often up here in Townsville. The sweetest fish around the estuaries. Bake them, salt and pepper. I canot get enough Grunter to eat. Ate a 48cm grunter 2 nights ago. Baked for 25 minutes in oven at 200 degrees. Seal him up in the al foil.

Soft white sweet flesh dipped into mixture of lime juice, sugar, birds-eye chilli, fish sauce and coriander leaves.....................mmmmmmmmmmmm Just what the doctor ordered

Good luck mate

try leaving your fish dead, say for 24hrs. this lets them complete the full rigormortis(spelling?) process. the lactic acid that builds up after death can make em reel tough.

cheers

lippa

Lippa,
    Thanks mate you may have hit the nail on the head.
    Cheers
    Barry.

Lippa, thats a good tip , havn't hear that one before!

FISHERGIRL69

BARRY,
    I CATCH GRUNTER VERY OFTEN WHEN FISHING OUT ON THE BOAT AT BEAVER ROCK JUST OUTSIDE OF MARYBOROUGH. IT'S ONE OF OUR FAVE FISH TO EAT AND ALL WE DO IS FILLET THEM, LIGHTLY FLOUR AND SEASON THEM AND STRAIGHT INTO A SHALLOW OILED FRYPAN AND THIS IS VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT BUT ALWAYS COOK FLESH SIDE DOWN FIRST UNTIL COOKED THROUGH WITH ONLY 30 SECONDS OR SO SKIN SIDE DOWN AND I PROMISE IT WILL BE MUCH MUCH YUMMIER NEXT TIME.
    HOPE IT HELPS
    NICK...

my vote would be that u over cooked it, not under. I ate a 50cm model the other day and it was great.

Just wish we could get more down here but they are very rare.