Thread: Alvey reel recommendation

Alvey reel recommendation

Hello from Chicago,Illinois. I'm looking for a recommendation on an Alvey reel/Snyder rod combo for the type of Chinook Salmon shore fishing we do hear on Lake Michigan.These fish typically weigh from 12 to 26 pounds, and are caught this time of year in and around the harbors. Most anglers use a spinning reel with 8 to 15 pound line throwing 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ounce spoons. It's a cast and retrieve affair. It's my understanding that an Alvey is known for long distance casting, which would be a definite advantage when fishing for autumn Chinooks and spring Coho. Any and all info will be much appreciated. Thanks, Scottie.

Re: Alvey reel recommendation

I have used a alvey reel since 1960 and you are quite right they cast a long way very accurately. I would use a 650 bcxl which would give you approx 700ydddds of 15 to 20 lb line. it has its own dray system that youn can preset at a given tension. I have cast in a comp with 1/2 once sinker 127 yds. using 6lb line. there is a new 650 reel on the market that is specificly made for l;ure casting and has a 2 to reduction retrieve rate. it is called 650grbc high speed spinning reel. I use the 600 series with a 10 foot multi fibreglass rod with a fine tip. these reels are virtually maintenance free and should last you a life time. I own approx with spare spools for fast change of line strength. hope this helps.
    good hunting
    warigal

Thanks warigal. I ended up choosing a 600BCXL and a 10'6" Snyder rod. I'm hoping it'll do the trick. I should be receiving it soon, and I'll post my results after a while. Scottie.

When you finished catching salmon with it you can take it off its rod, bring it inside, turn it on its side...

and use it as an ashtray!

Rosso

Sacrilage!

Hey Rosso, what's your beef with Alvey?

Scottie

Actually i have nothing agains the reels.

I have a friend who uses them and i use ABU threadline reels and baitcasters. We always go on joking to each other about how one is better then the other

But lets face it...alveys are nothing but a basic reel. And alot of the people who use them don't look after them, and then complain when something on it doesn't work (ie the travel along the road with the alvey still on the rod on the rod holders of the car going along the road at 60-100KM/h. Can you imagine how much junk and bugs are in it by the end of the trip?

Sure they are easy to use, but I think threadlines (egg beaters for the uneducated) are just as easy...

Rosso.

Scotty,
    I use all 3 of the mentioned reels and as for maintenance the Alvey's are by far the most reliable,sturdy and need the least amount of maintenance.Basic reel and thats the beauty of it and you can count on it before any of the others . Absolutely nothing wrong with them mate.
    Cheers Luke

Luke, I too use spinning and baitcasting reels, and now an Alvey. I've been using the Alvey alot since I received it a little over a month ago, and I gotta tell you, I think it's great.
    Rosso, I bought the Alvey because bein' a Yankee they're something I'd never seen before. And I like to collect fishing gear too. Love my Alvey, which by the way, I can cast farther than I have ever cast before on any other type of gear. Which, come to think of it, is really why I bought it.

Cheers, Scottie