Thread: Alternatives to fixing a guide on a fishing rod

Alternatives to fixing a guide on a fishing rod

Hi peoples

Ive got a fishing rod i'm really happy with...apart from the guides.
    Its a Mitchell one piece spiderglass spectra medium heavy action.
    One of the guides has split (second from the handle)

A couple of questions;

Firstly, is there a way I could repair this inexpensively? Ive lost the inner plastic/nylon ring in the guide and the guide itself has broken, but is still circular.

Secondly, anyone know any really good quality guides that are salt water friendly? Within the realms of being practical to buy!
    Some of these rod makers just dont think that saltwater is an issue!

Comments appreciated.

Re: Alternatives to fixing a guide on a fishing ro

Islander,
    You'll need a new guide. I now put my own on as I believe it's way overpriced to get someone else to do it. It's not as pretty as I bind by hand instead of machine but I can tell you it comes close. I use Fuji guides but am told they aren't necessarily the best. In any case I haven't had one fall off yet and not even any cracking in the varnished areas and one I did about a 2 years ago. I take a lot better care of my rods and reels these days.
    Cheers Luke

PS I don't think you should worry about salt to much as it wrecks everything in the end. I just try rinse everything in fresh after use to get the maximum life out of it.

Mate do yourself a favour and go get the one or two guides ya need and either bind em on yourself or get someone to do it for you.
    trying ta save money on guides could cost ya money elsewhere especially if ya start stripping(peeling) line because the inner part of your guides has fallen or dropped off causing your line ta wear.
    You will end up not only havin ta replace line but lose that fish of the moment ya may have been waiting for.
    As for guides there are Fuji and there are Fuji in the dear range and cheaper range and look after both and they should last ya okay.
    There are other guides about some good some ??? just ask at your local tackle store if ya class them as reputable which most should be if they wanna stay in the game ey.
    Salt water is not an issue if ya wash your rod and its guides down after each fishing trip, Fist thing i do after each gishing trip and the use of soapy water and a chux hasent done no harm at all except prolong the age and appearance of my gear
    Cheers

mick

I AGREE FIX YOUR GUIDES. A TRICK TO GET IT LOOKING LIKE A PRO JOB IS TO PUT A DOB OF EPOXY ON YOUR ROD WHERE THE GUIDE GOES AND BIND IT WITH PLUMBERS TAPE. THIS IS WHAT I DID TO MY ROD AND ITS STILL THERE TODAY. DONT FORGET TO SPRAY IT WITH A PAINT THAT MATCHES YOUR ROD . AUTO SPRAY PAINT WORKS A TREAT.

FISH ON........