Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunglasses?

Re: Sunglasses?

Jason if you work in the optics industury you should know the SPOTTERS are not made in Australia they are imported like the rest......lenses in one box,frames in another then whammo they are put together and all of a sudden made in Australia,other companies could do the same but they have ethics...

trav

After having many sunnies in the $6 - $20 range which could last anything from 2 weeks to 9 months, I have lashed out(lol) and bought a pair of $38 polaroid Glarefoils, f*&$%#@ fantastic, good bye premature aging!!!, Hey I can see!!!

i'll look into that travis and get back to ya.

someone mentioned before about the colour of the lenses.
    black for salt and brown for fresh.

generally it's what u like. but the green/grey lense is more specific to blue water and the brown is for up in creeks. but i'm sure it would work fine in fresh.

i'm not saying anyone is wrong. but i don't know all the answers either.

those polariod glarefoils are very good for what they are. unfortunately they are only a plastic lense. but they are made preety solidly.
    we serverd a customer today who was just about to buy them, but when she found out the affects of polarisation, she went and bought a mako. so a $30 sale became a $130 sale. we didn't complain.

one noticable thing you will find with cheaper sunglasses is that they leave the glare on the surface of teh water (i don't know 100% with the ACC glarefoils, but other cheap brands do). where as the more expensive sunnies do not.

you get what u pay for.
    you might also find you don't get a warranty with the glarefoils.

i'm still yet to get that info about the lense colours.. hehe. sorry.

Shove the warranty! If they're lost or the kids destroy them, hey I'll buy another pair. If you work in a Sunglasses shop your bound to be sucked in by the blurb. Sorry, can't justify the expense for what is to me a disposable item. Don't like to see money sinking away from me!

Hi All,

have owned a pair of Mako Warriors for around the 2 year mark after having a pair of Spotters and then loseing them I found the Spotters to be pretty good but the mako's leave them for dead I find that these mako's make spotting fish in salt and fresh water a breeze, which comes in handy when sight casting to cruising fish they were not cheap at around $200.00 but if i don't loosem i think its money well spent just in case anybody is wondering they have Browwn glass lenses.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Brett_Finger

Have got a couple of pair,
    a rose set of Stalkers and a copper ste of Bolle, bouth are very good for sitefishing barra ect.. but i prefer the rose cloured lenses to the copper.
    Hookin,Brett

I do both freshwater and saltwater fishing but can't afford to buy 2 different coloured good quality sun glasses, is there a good compromise colour you can wear effectively in both situations? 8)

work out what type of fishing you do more often. blue water or murky (creek) water.
    go for a grey or green lense if your going in blue water and the brown lense for up creeks.
    also if you can't afford 2 good pairs. buy 1 good pair and 1 crappy pair of the other colour

Gday Jason,
    I've been told the mowi/maui jim's??? are pretty hot. What dirt or clean bill of health can you give me on them?
    Cheers Luke

ok. the Maui Jims... We were going to get these sunglasses in. BUT we didn't.

They are about $350approx (i think. not 100% sure on that)
    they are a glass lense...

because we never got them in i don't know a great deal about them.

but for what they are worth. stick with your mako's, bolle's and spotters.

The MJ are just overpriced.

***on another note***
    Katrina i know what ya mean. u lose them or the kids break them they aren't covered under warrenty. but there are measures to avoid that. hide them so the kids can't find them. get a strap so they don't go overboard..
    Another thing about working in the sunglasses industry.. Most the "blurb" (u stated) is actually true about the sunglasses. But also working in a sunglasses shop it's very hard not to want sunnies. also we get them at a good discount.

So people like myself and Travis that work in that industry. we'll have several pairs of sunnies...

something else.
    What BOMBER said about the Mako's being better than Spotters.. It all depends on what conditions you are using it in, what u are comfortable wearing, and generally what works best for you.

We've sold spotters to the Water police and the local dive people/operator and they all swear by them.

They are all good brands and u should try them all on before u go ahead and buy the sunglasses. Everyone is different.

C

8)Tried most brands inc Ray Ban, Oakley,Spotters ,el cheapo servo station brands but all ways come back to Mako Pluggers or Zeniths with polaised glass 8)

hehehe. oakley. now there's a good one..

preety sad to say. but i advise customers against buyng oakley polarised sunglasses. #for the cost of these you'd prolly be better off buying those Maui Jim.

save ya money and spend it on zeneith or bolle` if you want a sporty looking polarised sunglass. #though Spotters has a new range out... very impressive. i must say.

also. spotters has had a price rise and are now range in price from about $220 - $250

well. i now own a pair of spotters. They are called Crush. which is the sunnies in the new range. they also come in blue, black and red frames... and the brown, penetrator, and green with blue tint lenses.

they have a red frame with a Penetrator (photochromatic) lense.
    which means the darkness of the lense changed with the brightness of the sun.

i compared these with the mako. but only due to personal opinion and shape i stuck with the Spotters.

has anyone tried the new brand fish I got a pair the other day went to get makos but these suited me better they dont have glass lenses but work great I was told they are made by mako but I dont know but hey at $59 I can lose these but they work well I just hope they are good for the eye.