Thread: High  Speed  Alvey

Andrew

High  Speed  Alvey

RE. the Alvey 2 to 1 ratio "high speed" spinning reel.
    Has anyone used one of these reels? I was thinking of getting one so I can use the same Snyder Glas rod for spinning as I use for drummer off the rocks and Jewies off the beach and just carry the different reels in my haversack. This will save on rods that I have to carry and means I don't have to take my shimano spining reels onto the sand. I like being able to just put the reel down on the sand or get it fully dunked in the surf, as happens, and not have to worry about it getting put out of action by sand..
    What I was wondering was if the extra weight was a problem ie. How long can you cast with one before you clag out? Are they as sand resistant as the rest of the Alveys. Are they as fast as eggbeaters? Are they fast enough for tuna? Does the extra speed make line twist worse?
    If anyone doesn't like theirs drop me a line here and I'll do a deal. If you live around the Shoalhaven maybe you could give me a go so I can see for myself what they're like to use.
    Even negative comments/opinions welcome ($280.00 is'nt cheap for an Alvey). ta Andrew

Re: High #Speed #Alvey

Hey Andrew

I own one of these, and have done for nearly three years.

They are definitely faster than an eggbeater, (I also own a Shimmy 6500 baitrunner), cast further, and work hard.

I've got mine strung with 14kg braid without any problems.

Don't know about tuna, I work mine in the surf tossing poppers and metal, and the retrieve is definitely faster than anything else on the market in my experience, and if tuna requires this you can't go wrong.

I used this reel as a winch, jig fishing for big salmon off Vancouver Island in Canada's Pacific Northwest, caught a 9 and 11 kg silver, reel performed effortlessly, the drag is excellent.

Good reel.

Hope this helps.

ReelCrazy

-------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Andrew

Reel #Crazy,
    # # # # # # # # # # thanks #for #the #post, that #helps #heaps. You're #the #first #person #I've #spoken #to #that #has #a #high #speed #Alvey. I've #had #a #few #knockers #but #they #have'nt #actually #used #one #themselves. I #had #a #play #with #one #at #the #Homebush #boat/4wd #show #and #it #looked #good #to #me; #perfect #for #beach #spinning #tailor #and #salmon #on #6 #kilo, then #change #reels #on #my #7 #wrap #snyder #glas #and #put #out #the #livies #on #10 #kilo #for #a #jewie. #I #find #it #hard #to #get #time #to #travel #around #getting #live/fresh #bait #for #the #jewies #so #this #system #should #work #well #with #only #one #rod #and #one #trip #in #the #afternoon #needed - easy. I #still think #they #could #be #cheaper; maybe #after #Christmas #they'll #be #on #sale? Anyway, thanks #for #giving #me #some #feedback, cheers #Andrew.

No worries Andrew happy to help on equipment I have experience with.

I too have got a Snyder 7 wrap. The regal 177, top rod, suggest you try poppers in the surf if there's bait fish out there. I've got a couple about 70gms that work a treat.

Little trick I picked up off of Montauk on Long Island out of New York, was to toss the popper over the top of the baitfish, reel it in close on the other side of the school.

Then grip the rod up near the first stripper and shake the rod vigorously for a minute or so, wait a minute or so for a strike, then a couple of turns of the reel, then do it again and so on.

This causes the popper to splash around on the surface like a wounded bait fish, really upsets the predators, makes them want to hit the lure.

Enjoy.
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Andrew

reelcrazy, thanks #for #the #tips.

I'll #be #picking #up #one #of #those #fast #alvey #reels #after #Christmas #when #the #sales #are #on.

So, are #there #many #yanks #that #use #Alveys?

I #was #told #that #you #can't #use #braid #on #an #Alvey #because #you #can #cut #your #finger #casting #and #due #to #line #twist. Obviously #you #weren't #told #and #you #don't #seem #to #be #having #any #problems #either. It #would #have #to #be #the #most #direct #contact #you #could #have #with #a #fish #in #the #surf. Are #you #having #any #problems #with #the #braid?

# # thanks #again, Andrew #

Andrew,
    I've got an Alvey loaded with braid and get absolutely no line twist-no memory. I don't tend to touch the line as much feeling out for bites as the tip tells me enough and I can feel every vibe through the rod and just keep a light touch when retrieving if I need to guide the line on. As for the high speed reel I haven't tried one but I'd like too. I am a big fan of the Alvey and i wouldn't worry about knockers. I don't know that much but if they knock Alvey they're speaking blankety blanks.
    Luke

I agree with Luke on this, however, using top quality swivels are a necessity.

I've loaded my GRBC with PowerPro 30lb braid (approx 14kg), and it's mono equivalent is around 6lb (2.5kg).

I use Sampo #1 ball bearing swivels (12lb) and do not have a problem with line twist, I opted for the lighter swivel because of the line fineness, I realize that these are more expensive, but the Sampos are superb quality.

My thinking is that the correct swivel is not related to breaking strain but to line thickness, so best get the best if you are going finer.

The business end of the line is a mono trace in fluorocarbon, with a McMahon snap tied on the lure end. These are the best snaps I've found, perfect for quick changes of end tackle. For ganged pillies, I usually make up a few rigs at home, tieing and trimming them with a bit of stiffish copper wire - this makes them "swim" better, and makes for a quick change when the actions on.

As far as finger burn, yes braid will do that, I've found palming the Alvey on a cast out works best for me in controlling line, if line burn gets to be a problem on the retrieve, get a leather finger stall from a chemist shop, or do as I did, cut the finger off an old leather glove.

As to Andrews question re the yanks here, haven't seen any Alveys on the beaches here, but get plenty of comment when I outcast the other punters, perhaps its also the 14.5 foot stick as well.

Well tight lines boys, I'm off to the south shore of Long Island for a few days over the break. Got the neoprene waders packed, need these puppies here in winter, freeze your n*ts off otherwise, far cry from the warm waters of home, where a winters surf fishing only required stubbies, stubbies and barefeet.

Might get lucky and see a few tailor.

Tom
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Andrew

Reel #crazy,
    # # # # # # # # # don't #you #mean bluefish?

# # # # # # # # # #If #braids #an #option #on #Alveys #then #it's #going #to #be #tops #in #the #surf #for #mulloway. Baitrunners #and #braid #have #become #popular #because #you #can #feed #the #bait #out #while #keeping #in #contact #with #the # fish #because #the #braid #is #not #so #affected #by #side #wash.

# # # # # # # # # #You #can #do #the #same #with #an #Alvey #but #don't #need #to #fork #out #big #dollars #for #the #big #shimano #or #worry #about #sand #in #the #gears. #I #reckon #the #Alvey #will #give #you #more #direct #contact, esp #with #braid.

# # # # # # # # # # #I'm #looking #forward #to #giving #it #a #go. I've #got #100meters #of #30lb #fireline #to #put #on.

# # # # # # # # # # #All #the #touists #have #arrived #for #their #holidays #and #there #will #be #a #fisherman #on #every #rock. So #it #could #be #a #good #time #to #wander #up #the #beach - although #they'll #probably #be #there #too.

# # # # # # # # # # #Thanks #reelcrazy n'Luke #for #post, Andrew

Andrew, I'm a yank from Chicago and I've recently become an Alvey advocate. I've got a 6000BCV / Snyder 10' 6" rod and a 500BC & 45B / Snyder 8' rod. I use them for shore fishing in the harbors for Chinook and Coho, and the smaller combo for bass fishing in the harbors and Chicago river. They have become my reel of choice. I've been using P-Line copolymer with great success. Love my Alvey's and Ausfish.com (I got all the gear from them).

Cheers, Scottie

Andrew

Scottie,
    # # # # # # #thanks #for #the #post. Glad #to #hear #you #like #Alveys - your #ok #mate.

I've #got #a #500 #easy #cast #Alvey #which #I #was #thinking #about #getting #8ft #Snyder #for #to #use #with #lures #for #our #Australian #bass ( meaner #than #your #bass I #think ) and #bream #out #of #a #boat. Also #float #fishing #off #the #wharf/boat #with #the #luderick #reel #and #12lb #floatline #for #various. #The #direct #wind #should #be #an #advantage #around #wharf #pylons #and #snags #where #you #find #above #mentioned #fish.

Even #though #I'm #in #Oz #I've #never #seen #the #8ft #Snyder. #Only #the #12 #footers #are #stocked #in #shops. Do #you #use #500 #for #plug #or #bait, any #line #twist #problems #with #constant #casting.

Thanks #again #for #the #post, it #was #good #to #hear #from #you #in #the #US. #cheers, Andrew

Andrew, I use the 500BC for the cast & retrieve of lures for salmon and for drop shotting for bass. Drop shotting is a small short shank baithook tied on the line using a palomar not, and you leave the tag end long (18-24 in. or less). You then put a weight at the end of the tag end, which allows the bait to hover just off the bottom. I nose hook small plastic baits (worms, crawfish, minnows and such) and then drop it to the bottom and walk the edges ever so slowly. Man, does it ever work for bass. It's definitely a finesse type of presentation, but when everything else isn't working, it seems to produce. As long I use the proper size barrel swivel I don't have much trouble with line twist. The occasional line twist I've experienced has been minimal, and only the last few yards of line. No big deal, really. It's certainly no worse than the line twist I occasionally get on any of my spinning reels. BTW, we've got alot of small mouth bass here in the Chicago river, and they are pound for pound one of the best fighting game fish in North America, much better than the famed largemouth bass. I'd sure love to fish in your country someday, especially for the Barra. Cheers........Scottie

andrew i have a high speed alvey and have it for about 5 years now they are the same speed as tss4 which i also have .they are great off the beach and rocks iuse 7/8 kg on mine. i had no problems with it at all .i highly recommend that you don;t use braid if you regard fingers . i use s177/7 w but any good surf rod from 12/14 feet will fine . if you are interested in buying one mime is for sale regard;s col

Andrew

Shareenc,
    # # # # # # # # thanks #for #your #post. Yes, I #am #interested #in #your #gear. You #could #email #me #ajenkings@shoal.net.au
    # I'm #in #NSW, on #the #Shoalhaven.

# # # # # # # # #Let #me #know #if #your #local #or #interstate #and #how #you #prefer #to #negotiate ie #phone/email. #I'm #happy #to #give #you #my #phone #number #by #email #or #whatever?

I've #got #a #tss4 #too. But I #still #want #GRBC #for #the #beach.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #ta, Andrew