Thread: Braid  on  Alveys

Andrew

Braid  on  Alveys

I've been told a few times, by experienced fishing shop keepers, that Alveys and braid don't work because of cutting fingers and tangles.

Lately I've had some fishermen in USA ( hi guys ) tell me they use it, no worries.

What experience has anyone else had? (esp in surf)

ta, Andrew

Re: Braid #on #Alveys

Hi Andrew,
    I have an Alvey loaded with 6lb fireline that I use in estuaries and don't have any problem with tangles or any major problem with cutting of fingers. I always come home with some cuts whether it be mono or braid but I only use my finger as a light guide and don't leave it on there flat out. As for tangles I get hardly any using braid whereas I used to get quite a few more on mono. I haven't used it on an Alvey surf outfit though.
    Cheers Luke

If you ever get to see the "Team Alvey" guys fishing one of the BASS or BREAM comps, you'll be amazed at what they can do with an Alvey. I had the pleasure of fishing with Pete Robinson during a BREAM round, and his slightly modified Alveys handle fireline with ease. They cast little Bream lures pretty well too.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Andrew

Thanks Luke/Aussiebasser,

What was the modification to Team Alveys' reels? What rigs were they using?

thanks, Andrew.

They use a reel seat stem off an export model, which allows them to hold the Alvey in the same manner as a Threadline should be held. ie. with the reel stem between the ring and middle finger. They also use a peice of Stainless Wire to run the line on instead of their finger. As far as I'm aware, neither of these modifications are available on local reels.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Andrew

Thanks Aussiebasser,

I want one!

Andrew