Thread: After advice,Alvey fishing reels

After advice,Alvey fishing reels

Hello to everyone,
    I have very little fishing experience and absolutly none with Alvey reels,however I do like the simplicity of there design.
    I have two questions,1,I have heard that line twist can be a problem what is the best type of line to use with these reels?2,All my fishing is done from the bank i.e. impoundments,rivers ect what would be a good all round reel to buy first up?
    Any advice on these two questions or any general advice on Alveys would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Joe.

adrian

Re: After advice,Alvey fishing reels

hi joe
    the line twist is caused by the line coming off the reel sideways ( when you cast ) and put back on straight when reeling in ( to the others who read this please tell me if i'm wrong ) a swilel ( help i cant spell it ) > will help . as for what line is best is like asking what type of fishing is best . check the rest of this site as somewhere is a topic about just such a question 8) as for which reel are you bait or lure fishing ??? . as for bait fishing i don't see a reason not to use an alvey but for lure fishing i would use a bait caster or a spin reel for gettingn the lure down in the strike zone quicker.alveys have a place in my gear they simple to maintan
    hope i've helped some
    anzac

Re: After advice,Alvey fishing reels

Hi Joe, I'm a recent convert to Alvey reels and I really love them. Anzac is correct about using the proper size swivel to help prevent line twist. There is information that comes in the Alvey reel box that tells you what size swivel to use with the various weight lines. As far as line goes, I'm a fan of co-polymers, though any mono or braid will work just fine too.
    Though I don't know what type of fishing you'll be doing, it sounds as if an Alvey general purpose reel such as the 500BC with a Snyder 8 foot glass rod might be the ticket. I bought that exact combo from the guys here at Ausfish.com and absolutely love it. It will retrieve a lure at the proper speed with no problem at all, and of couse baitfishing would be a piece of cake with that set-up. Are you aware that you need to lay the line evenly onto the reel during the retrieve using your index finger? Being a Yankee, I'd never seen an Alvey reel and wasn't quite sure if that was going to be a problem for me or not. Well, it seems to be a very natural thing to do, plus, I like that level of involvement with the gear.
    I know there are far more experienced Alveyites than I, and perhaps they will post some additional information.
    Cheers, Scottie, Chicago Illinois