Thread: Loomis Rods

Loomis Rods

Hi All,
    I am looking to get a new rod, the old live fibre finally gave up the ghost. I have always wanted a Loomis but never got around to getting one. I mainly fish for barra, jacks, trevalley, cod etc. Most of my fishing is casting lures to snags and trolling in the creeks. I am a bit worried about the Loomis being a bit stiff in the tip. I have only used one for a short time, so cannot really make a judgement on how they perform. My brother in law had one and he reconed it was far to stiff in the tip 4kg (I think). made it difficult to cast smaller lures. I was thinking about a 643GL2 4-5kg or 644GL2 5-6kg? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Dazza

Re: Loomis Rods

Loomis are the greatest baitcaster on the market.Although a few builds are not up to scratch for example never enough guides,small percentage built on the backbone,but if you choose right you will never look back.

The models you mentioned are top rods for barra maybe a little heavy for jacks the lighter model which is the 642 gl2 or 3 maybe the way to go.If the tip stiffness worries you go a little longer your dont give away the power just get a few more inches and a slightly softer tip.

Good luck in your decision

Travis

I know a lot of guys won't agree with me, but if you want a Loomis with more tip action, have a look at the Crankbait series. I love mine, an 841 and a 903, you may need to go heavier again than that, but the 3 series are raited to about 20lb. They are a lot softer action than the GL2's.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

basser alot of people will disagree with this also but
    in my opinion the crankbaits are a top rod for bass and working plastics,but for barra,jacks and trevally they are to long in my opinion at 6 foot 6 and 7 foot to work lures in the snags

Travis

Thanks for the advice fellas. I have thought about the crankbait blanks but the length worries me a bit. I don't think I want to go any longer than 6 foot. It makes it a bit hard to cast when you are deep in the mangroves. Would probably want something about 5'4" or 5'6". Unfortunatley I can't rip down to the local tackle shop to have a play, so I have to rely on what I read and advice from others. Would it be fasable to cut a crankbait down (I am assuming you can buy the blanks) or would it be too sloppy?? I don't want to stuff the blank. The other option is the 642. What are some of the Loomis models others use?
    Thanks again Travis and Basser, what do you think about cutting blanks etc.
    Dazza

Aw Dazza,
    There is no way I'd suggest that someone buys a $300+ Loomis and then hacks it up. > That'd be like putting a Commodore motor in a Ferrari. Maybe you'd better stick with the GL2 of shorter rods. You could always check out the Jarvis Walker range they may have something suitable to chop down.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

basser,
    don't worry mate. i wasn't keen on the idea of cutting the blank down either. i think the 642 or 643 will be the way to go. Probably the 643.
    dazza

Loomis are a great rod and I was seriously thinking of getting one built for me but decided to go with a Strudwick.

The Struddies do everything the Loomis does only it is built in Oz from NZ blanks.

Definately worth looking at.

If you want an experts opinion email Alan Glover at Shearwater Rods and he'll give you the rundown. I've always found him to be extremely helpful and willing to give sound advise.

Yours in fishing.

Wassa

If you want to know about Strudwick rods talk to the guy that builds them Eric Grell Quality Crafted Rods.

Cheers
    Christine

just got a loomis and love it but at first I thought it was to stiff iin the tip but the local tackle shop took me out the back with 4 loomis rods and let me play finally got a custom job made with a loomis blank just have to keep looking than all of a sudden you find the right one.

I ended up getting a 643. It is perfect. Took it out for a play yesterday and I am very happy. It casts really well, and has plenty of grunt when needed. I ended up getting it custom made for a great price (thanks Aaron).
    Dazza

Dazza, I've got a W783 (walleye blank aka popping rod blank) which is the same as the crankbait blank (or almost). I love it for cranks but think its a little soft for working plastics along the bottom (too much tip movement makes it a little hard to get fine control over the plastic). I've also got a 644, and think it would solid enough for the job, but I don't find it great for smaller lures 8-12 grams. If you wanted a tippier version the 643 is an excellent choice. I don't know if the 642 would have enough guts for bigger fish/lures you want to have a go at.

No worries Lordy(JC)the 642 would and is a great jack and barra rod, will pull most fish..As far as throwing lures with it, most rods can throw tilsan barra's and they are the only lures need to catch these fish 8)

The 643 and 644 are just a little heavier and are more for big lure and big barra,the 642 is a more optinions rod,use it for a bit of everything

Trav

Hi Dazza,

G-Loomis has a huge range of rods and the prices vary considerably depending on where you shop. I recently bought a 6' one piece GL2 light spinning rod and is very nice. The price varied considerably on this rod depending on where I shopped. Ended getting it for $275 AUD. I would also suggest you look at the G-Loomis site www.Gloomis.com that will give you some idea also. Another option for purchase is to look at some of the on-line shops from the US www.basspro.com is a good one. You could get a gloomis rod in the country in about 10 days for the same money as the cheapest places in Oz. They also have a 6 pay plan where you can pay over 6 months on credit card which is a great way to go. The only think you have to watch when purchasing from O/seas is customs duty and GST. If you keep a purchase to under $330-00 AUD (not including postage) then you will be fine as customs only chases the GST and duty when it is over $50-00 AUD.

These shops are great for things like tackle boxes, rod holders, knives, lures etc. It works out much cheaper even with the exchange rate at 2to1. I find reels work out about the same though.

Regards
    Finny

Hope this helps

Finny