Greed!!! =) hahah

It's amazing. I started out fishing simple. I used
    only a few rods with only a few lures.
    I was able to catch as many fish as my friend
    who has only Gloomis rods and high end
    reels from Shimano. But now I have a bunch
    of rods and reels as well. I tried to keep it
    simple, but couldn't help myself. hehe

The Epix isn't a bad reel, the the GL2 is nice!!
    I guess out of the $425AUD most of that amount
    went towards the GL2. How much does the Epix
    cost in Oz(Oz=Australia right?)

What kind of fishing do you do there?

Jack Ip
    TackleTour
    http://www.tackletour.com

Re: New Daiwa reel

Hi Jack,

The reel was close enough to $160 and the rod was $265. In Australia a lot of the Rods are made in China. I have a shogun rod which is a nice rod but find the Guides aren't put on all that square and those sort of little things bug me...:&gt...especially when I paid $150.00 AUD for it. Don't get me wrong it is a nice rod, but like things right...lol

I do predominantly estuary/river stuff. Bream, Flatties Whiting, Tailor, Flounder & Jewies if I can get em. Bass are starting to sparkle my interest. I have been a bait fisherman most of my life but just starting to enjoy the lure stuff. Have done some Bay & outside work but need to convince the wife (who loves fishing - strange huh?) that the boat is safe.

Currently have an Ally-Craft 4.25 Shadow Mirage with 40 Hp Yami on the back and just starting the hunt for a bow mounted electric. Which is an interesting exercise as I think it might be cheaper to get from the US, but need to do more research here.

BTW do you think it is worth going for a salt water electric considering they are a lot more expensive or is it possible to use a another type and providing I look after it it will be OK.

Regards

Finny

Oh wow! You paid $150AUD for a rod that you don't even like? Hmm... I can find many rods here at that price that has good components. TackleTour did a few reviews on
    some and I will have another few rods articles up soon.
    But not sure if you can get them there... but of course
    there's always online orders. =)

Like there, there are many rods here built in Asia that's
    not too great either. But there are some that you can find that are good.

I think you and your wife and family need to make a trip out to the USA. Bring a huge suitcase and buy some stuff. hehe =) My aunt lives in Sydney and she always asks me to find things for her here because it's cheaper.

Your wife lives fishing too? Where can I catch one of those? =) That's rare! Catch and don't release this one! hehe

What kind of bass do you guys have down there?
    I mainly fish for bass and trout. I get sea sick, so I seldom go out into the ocean. TackleTour has a saltwater expert, so I am glad I don't have to go out.

About the trolling motor, I wouldn't be the one to ask about that. You're best going to a store and ask someone is knows the motors well or somewhere else in this forum post the question. I am sure someone here is knowledgeable on this.

Okay, have fun!

Jack Ip
    TackleTour

Hi Jack,

Actually I used to travel to the US 2-3 times a year but after 11 September and the downturn in the US economy my trips over to the US have been stopped for this year...:>((( I used to buy up what I could and bring it back. Have to watch the customs allowance though, wouldn't want to bring back too much and have to declare it :>\....

I loved going to the US when the exchange rate was 1.3 to 1.5 there were heaps of great bargains but not anymore. In fact it is cheap for you guys to come here these days becuase of the exchange rate. Still at 2 to 1 there is still some good buys around just gotta shop around. The G-loomis rod I have was up to 30% dearer depending on where I priced it and I could have got it into Oz for about $10 AUD from the US but didn't want to wait this time. Usually I can save plenty if I buy the right things though.

The rod is still very nice but it just bugs me that you can pay that sort of money and the guides aren't on right. I even went back and checked other Shogun rods and they were mostly the same. Doesn't seem to affect performance but still irks me. If your gunna do a job might as well do it properly!!!

Yeah I gotta watch the sea it can make me produce plenty of burly!!!!...LOL just depends on how bad it is!

Not sure on the type of Bass but they aren't terribly big as far as I am aware......We tend to get them and Estuary Perch as the tidal rivers change from salt to fresh.

Yep the wife aint bad she needs to learn to tie her own knots though!!!...LOL

On the trolling motor I have posted on one of the other lists - thanks

Cya

Finny

Hey JIP,
    have a look at www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/BassArticle.htm for a look at an Australian Bass.
    Cheers Luke

yeah back from barra fishin,and jip the reels we are using are the new Team Daiwa-x 103hsd the newest out.....Got released about 4 weeks ago........

Luke,

Australian Bass... looks so different from the bass we have here in the USA.
    Does it fight hard?

Travis,

Ah, okay, TD-X 103HSD.
    I thought you have the TD-X 103HSDF.
    Only SOME people have that one right now. =)

How was barra fishing? (barra=barracuda right?)

Jack Ip
    TackleTour

Cremated_Reddog

hey JIP,................ Barra = Barramundi