Thread: Surf rod - help needed

Surf rod - help needed

Hello all - I'm looking at purchasing a new light / med surf rod and I need some advice. I was looking at the Wilson live fibre range but have received some disturbing news from a reasonably well known rod builder. He claims that the rods are in the habit of breaking about 100mm up from the top of the butt when loaded i.e. big fish / snag etc. As these rods are quite expensive I need some opinions before I spent the money ( $160.00)and this is the only place I can get them. Thanks in advance Dave_G

Re: Surf rod - help needed

Dave, Does it have to be a Live fibre or can it be something other. What sort of dollers are you looking at spending.

Stuart Mackenzie

Stuart,
    Your the person I was refering to, all I want is a reliable rod that won't twist when I get a reasonable fish on like my last Butterworth & Jarvis Walker rods and doesn't way a ton or I don't need hands like dinner plates to hold on to it. A 11 / 12 ft rod that will be used mainly for surf bream or tailor fishing. Cost somewhere around $150.00. I've tried most of the cheaper brands ( $70.00 mark approx) and they simply don't feel right when casting or when loaded.

Dave Gallichan

adrian

hi dave
    I have a live fibre surf rod and a cheaper one both have stood the test of big hook ups and in my opinion the live fibre out classed the other one . but it comes down to buying the one you feel right with and it must fit into your budget so i say buy the best your budget allows .
    I have 2 live fibre rods and have not had any trouble with them breaking but i've had a wilson rod break on me

anzac

imported_admin

Dave

Have a look at the Snyder Mag Surf rang, nice light rods with plenty of power. They also make an Ultra cast version, not a lot made as they are harder to make then the normal. The ultra cast has a curve in it, suppose to preload the rod before casting. I have one of each and can highly recommend them. If you can't find any in the shops give snyder a call to see who your nearest stockist would be. Your welcome to have a lend of mine and try them out if you are nearby and can pick them up and drop them back.

Dave, I do remember some sort of conversation like the one now with you. I didnt want to sound negative on the phone but I say it how it is and when you build as many rods as me every year you start seeing alott of patterns emerging and that is one of them, So it not just me having a bitch session but I do like to inform people as to the good and bad of diffrent styles of rods. When I told you they break above the foregrip that was because I have fixed and tryed to fix many of these rods all with the same problem I still have many of still sitting in my offcut bin. I suppose once you see 10 or more surf rods all with the same problem you tend to see a pattern emergying. Look they may be good rods but from my experiance they tend to let go to much, But at the end of the day its your choice. I use to be the biggest live fiber lover no doubt about that but I think over time they have let things slip abit. Snyder rods would have to be some of the best around in terms of qulity although performance wise you will need to look at there graphite range only. All e-glass surf rods are just to slow in there taper and there weight becomes to dam heavy after a good fishing session. Im going to be doing an artical in Bush n Beach very soon on surf rods so maybe you should stay tuned before buying a new rod.

Stuart Mackenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Snyder rods would have to be some of the best around in terms of qulity although performance wise you will need to look at there graphite range only. All e-glass surf rods are just to slow in there taper and there weight becomes to dam heavy after a good fishing session. Im going to be doing an artical in Bush n Beach very soon on surf rods so maybe you should stay tuned before buying a new rod.

Stuart Mackenzie #
    I have to agree with Stuart on the quality of Snyder rods, I have nothing but praise for the build quality and their backbone, but have to disagree on the point about the graphite rods if you are going to use a popper in the surf.

Part of popper technique is to stop the retrieve, grab the rod above the grip and give the rod a good shake, this causes the popper to splash about simulating a distressed bait fish, and believe me if there's tailor around, they'll hammer it.

Point is this technique doesn't cut it with a graphite, they're too flexible, I talk also from experience, I have a Loomis 10'6" graphite surf, great rod, but the Snyder is more than a match for it.

Go for the Snyder glass in a size that suits.
    -------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Thanks for all the answers guys, and Stuart I guess I'll have to wait for your article. Do you know which issue cause I'm itching to hit the surf over the border. A question: what exactly is snyder glass are we talking a 2002 version of a hollow fibreglass rod or what?, We didn't talk on the phone I sent you an email initally. The price you quoted was $250.00 and there is simply no way a weekend once a fortnight fisherperson like me can afford or justify that thanks anyway. Dave_G

Dave, No worries mate if you have a budget then stick to it. I wasnt going to do the surf rod articale for around two months so if you cant wait start hitting all the tackle shopes. I think you will find most surf rods that you will look at will be much the same as each other in terms of action and weight. Or give me a ring at the factory on 54933202.

Stuart