Thread: Fluorocarbon or braid - Respooling

Fluorocarbon or braid - Respooling

Time to respool a new baitcaster.

Been using mono while I've been learning the art of unpicking chinese puzzles (ah f**ks) due to slow thumbs.

Naturally the line level on the spools a bit lower than I started with, the nail clippers have been faster than my patience, but its time to respool.

I've been using braid on my egg beaters, (fireline and powerpro) but I still like the feel of mono, and would like to try the fluorocarbons. Somehow the mono just feels better for plastic worms and light lures, or is it just my inexperience with baitcasters?

Anyone got some comment on which way to go.

Any probs using braid on baitcasters, are the fluoros any better than a good quality mono?

Thanks.

Tom

-------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Re: Fluorocarbon or braid - Respooling

Hi Tom. Never used flurocarbon line as of yet. So I don't know to much about it. I don't use mono much at all anymore. Only got it on my surf rod actually. With casting small light lures and soft plastics, I've found it a lot easier to use a small spinning reel. I myself use the Shimano 2000SF Stradic with a Daiwa procaster rod. Beautiful combination and dont get those nasty birdo's either.
    But I will try flurocarbon one day, just a matter of when.
    Bill 8)

Bill

That's a nice rig you've got, the Straddies are as smooth as silk.

I've been using fluro for leaders, I like the stuff too, but I'm looking to talk to someone who's used fluro to spool up on a light baitcaster, I'm looking to go lighter line, around 3-4kg.

In this case its a Shimmy Catala 300 - the poor mans Calcutta, the rods a Loomis STR1263C - 10'6" steelhead. This is an interesting stick, sort of a cross between a cast/spinning and a fly rod - superb action on light lures and baits-but has some backbone, I like fishing with little or no weight.

Which casts better on a baitcaster, braid or flurocarbon, and of course has less overruns?
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

aquarius

G,Day Reelcrazy........Ive been using fluorocarbon on my ABU baitcaster now for the past year.
    I tried it on a spinning reel without much success........it kept on fraying........no sign of that on the overhead yet......The thinner lines are better to use as the heavier ones arn't as supple.
    You mention backlash as the line problem....in fact thats no fault of the line.....What you have to do is set that knob on the right side of the reel so that your weighted line just starts to move through the guides......the sinker or lure should SLOWLY fall to the floor,,,,,,,if it falls fast you will get an overrun for sure!!
    Im using 14lb Berkley Vanish......the choice is yours...hope this info helps you decide.
    If you are still having a problem with backlash do what i use to do when i bought my first overhead reel.....go out into a feild and practice and practice until you get it right.
    good luck mate
    ps....I use braid on a couple of other overheads......great for deep water fishing and trolling lures......thats my opinion.
    Cheers Brent

Hi Brent

Thanks for the tip on the Vanish, I'll probably load up with either 8 or 10lb, I like it light and that should be reasonably supple.

You're right, practice makes perfecto, it's all in the thumb I've found, and of course the rod action.

I've found if I just let the rod action do it's thing and put little effort into the cast, it flies, but any extra effort, and there's an overrun, this is not the case with the egg beaters, but I'm looking for accuracy more than anything.

I'm going to try some of the bigger saltwater flies just as an experiment, we'll see.

Lots of practice for me still, from some of the comments here re the baitcasters, overruns happen even to the best, so I take some comfort from this.

Thanks

Tom
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

These are two totally different lines and give quite different results on all reels. If you use braid you really should load it onto the spool hard and cross hatch it to stop it slipping between layers. With braid, because of the very low stretch you need a slower action rod, because of the very fast response time.
    But braid is fantastic stuff, and is very thin so to get some semblance of feel you would probably fit 20lb braid where you might fit 6lb mono. Knots are a problem, none get as high as 100%, most are about 80%.
    Its ok to load braid onto a reel, but you need to know what the stuff is. Max

Hi Max

Thanks for the advice, the Catala has a moving spindle guide that would prevent laying braid down on a criss cross pattern, so that aspect is out.

I've noticed that layer slip problem with my Alvey spooled with 30# braid, the powerpro is super slick, and the low stretch and sensitivity make it great for lures and live bait.

I'm new to baitcasters, and should have gone to these years ago, but I like the sense of control you get with them. But mono seemed to have a better feel, maybe its my inexperience with baitcasters, or perhaps its the Catala.

Since the Catala is a poor mans equivalent of a Calcutta (400) - at least I can't tell the difference, what do the Calcutta owners usually spool with, and whats their experience?

Thanks for all your help.
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished