Thread: Baitrunner 6500-converting the gear ratio

Baitrunner 6500-converting the gear ratio

A while back someone mentioned here about converting the gearing on the Baitrunner to a Thunnus gearing and getting 6:1 retrieve.

If I read it correctly can you let me know where I can get this done?

Thanks
    -------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Re: Baitrunner 6500-converting the gear ratio

Mine was done by Neil at Jones Tackle at Lutwiche for $50 about 3 years ago. I was thinking he probably used TSS4 gears.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

"Mine was done by Neil at Jones Tackle at Lutwiche for $50 about 3 years ago. I was thinking he probably used TSS4 gears. "

Thanks Jeremy

How have you found the conversion, any probs? Does it really give a faster retrieve like 6:1?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Tom
    -------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Hi Tom,

it is really fast now. The baitrunner has quite a wide spool, so combine that with 6:1 and it is fast.

I had the gears changed soon after I got the reel, so don't know how it compares now to before. It is hard work lifting a hard fighting fish from down deep - I find I get a lot of line twist from the spool turning as I wind. I much prefer fighting fish on an overhead.

I have caught mack tuna, spotty mackerel, and longtail tuna on the reel casting lures, and I have also caught snapper floatlining, so it works for me - 2in1 reel!

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy