Thread: Spring  loaded  fish  grippers?

Andrew

Spring  loaded  fish  grippers?

I am wanting to buy one of these for use out of my canoe and when wading the estuary or to pick up fish off the rocks after I lift them out. Could be handy for grabbing a jewie in the surf too? The size would make them easy to carry and then hold fish to release alive or just to dehook safely with pliers and keep.
    There is a fair range in price and, having never used one I was wanting some comments on your experience with different brands.
    Thanks, Andrew.

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: Spring #loaded #fish #grippers?

Andrew,

Have been using the Berkley ones for about 1 1/2 years now - paid abot $50 I think. Couldn't justify the bucks for the Boga grips. Great on those toothy critters, like you said, keeps dem fingers out of the way. Makes for releasing quick and easy too.

They all work & do what they designed to do. I've got Bogas (mainly for when I head north) & recon they've got it over they other brands, but for the average angler to justify the cost is pretty hard.
    What ever the brand, they've got to be better than pliers.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Like Fitzy said if your heading north, or do catch a lot of big fish, bogas are well worth it, a lot dearer that some of the other brands, but they will last a helluva lot longer , we've destroyed some of the cheaper brand ones on big barra.
    And when you want to grab a forty pound fish in the mouth, you better do it with something you have confidence in.
    The other brands for small fish sure but if you want some for bigger fish and too last get bogas.

Poony