Thread: Seascape and Surfmaster Reels

Seascape and Surfmaster Reels

Does anybody remember the “Seascape” overhead fishing reels I believe were manufactured by a father and son who worked from their home on the Gold Coast I am not sure I could be wrong. They were a chrome-plated reel with an aluminum spool and they had a push button or lever behind the drag wheel, which released the spool for casting. There was another reel very similar to the seascape, which came out not long after called the surfmaster. They looked very much the same except they had a lift out lever on the side to engage free spool. I have a couple of seascapes although in below average condition but in working order all the same. I believe they came out in about the late 60’s early 70’s my brother and I purchased about 6 of them over the years and from memory the largest fish caught on them was a 52 lb Spanish mackerel which was caught off the Urangan Pier back in the early 70’s. If anybody could help me by pointing me in the right direction to purchase a couple of these magnificent seascape reels or even the surfmaster reels you would make my day. Thank you, Mossy ???
    Cheers Mossy
    Fishntales of Hervey Bay and Fraser Island
    Call Sign Fishntales VHF Ch 73 & 22
    5M Savage Cobia Centre Console

Re: Seascape and Surfmaster Reels

Keep an eye on Ebay.com.au. There's a fishing gear site under sporting goods. They often have those overhead reels (I think 2 Surfmasters were sold yesterday) along with stacks of Alveys.

There's all sorts of weird and wonderful fishing things that people are flogging.

I've owned and used both reels
    The surfmaster was a slow retrieve okay for live bait rigs.These reels wen't out of production back late 60s or early 70s
    The Seascape of which I had quite a lot normally 3 or 4 new ready to go the first was the 5:1.The gears were always the weakest link particularly in the 6:1.I always carried 5 or 6 spare sets of gears.
    These reels were manufactured at Wallsend Engineering in the Newcastle region in a small backyard shed.They stopped making them when the father died late 60s early 70s.The next major company to perfect the high speed overhead was Shimno.
    I hope this answers your question
    Kevin

headplate red.jpgLook on ALAN TANI and do a search for Australian Surfmaster. A fair bit of info there.