Thread: Daiwa Procaster Lure Weights

leroy

Daiwa Procaster Lure Weights

I recently decided to give a baitcaster ago.

What I bought: A Shakespeare Synergy 2804 reel (basicaly I did'nt want to spend big bucks if I didn't like baitcasters, $78 on special).

And a Daiwa Procaster-X rod. IM7 Graphite, Med/Light 5'10", 4-8Lb line, PR-X5101MLFB ($145 on special, different shop, coulda got a cheaper one but this one looked soooo gooood, sucked in as easy as that).

The guy in the store says this rod will handle lures up to 20grams. There is no marking on the rod for lure weight and the rod does not appear in current Daiwa cattledogs. I emailed Daiwa, no reply.

Can someone tell me, from expert product knowledge or first hand experience or seat of the pants reckoning even, what lure weights I should be restricting myself to with this rod?

Re: Daiwa Procaster Lure Weights

with overheads/baitcasters you need a little bit of weight on the lure so you don't get tanges.

umm. 20gm at a minimum..

i fell into the trap and bought 2 5gram lures, so i had to go out and buy a new rod. hehe. good way to do it... but i'm happy with what i got now. i paid in total $120 for my outfit, rod and reel. and i've caught big stuff on it with no probs.
    i got sick of all the things you have to do to a baitcaster just so you don't tangle up the line (birdsnest)

Re: Daiwa Procaster Lure Weights

Hi Tangled,
    The Daiwa should handle that weight no problems. I've got about 10 Daiwa overheads & recon that weight would be perfect. I use 18 gram weights for target casting & think this is ideal.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au