Thread: lead from car batteries

mick

lead from car batteries

does anyone remove the lead from car batteries to use in sinkers. if so, how? i tried it a few years back, it took me and a mate about two hours of hard labour. i have acess to a lot of old marine batteries and would appreciate any advice.

Re: lead from car batteries

I have made my own sinkers for years now and have never used Car battery lead. Sounds like too much hard work.

I prefer to use left over flashing from building sites and even scabbed some weights from the local tyre fitting business's.

I make sinkers about every 2 years and somethimes longer.

Maybe you could place the batteries in a large ( 60ltr ) old oil drum and
    burn them, scraping off the plastic slag to leave the lead in the bottom. Even that sound no good for the environment.

I'm sure someone here has done this before and can offer better advice.

???
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Mick,
    if you see any Telstra guys working in pits around your area and they look like they are pulling up old cable they might just be getting ready to dump loads of old lead flashed joints. You will probably only need to come accross one good fella that will give you some and what he gives you may last a lifetime. There is some serious lead down there that they are removing over time. Otherwise house wrecking yards might be able to provide some aswell- old dunnies etc.
    Cheers Luke

mick

old dunnies? what the

While we don't use lead in any of jigs or lures, it is usually easier, and more cost effective, to buy it in large ingot sticks.

Also means you do not have to skim the melting pot to take off excess slurry- and other garbage, which you will get rising to the top with card batteries.

Fumes from small plastic peices will be your other problem..

If you need a source for lead then call me in Brisbane on 3311 5262.

Yeh old dunnies,fireplaces at the exit point through the roof etc were flashed with lead and basically anything that needed waterproofing was wiped with lead. Steve is right about the dregs but they do float to the top and can be skimmed. Depends whether you want to pay for the stuff or maybe get it free from some jointers in the street.
    Cheers Luke

Hi Mick #
    Mate if i were you i would not use old batteries. I have tried to do it my self and its a lot of hard work for very little lead. .You are better of to do as the boys said go out and buy it.Go see your local scrap metal dealer .

cheers spinna

Mick go with Steve badmans idea . Batteries are a pain in the butt plus ya wont get enough lead out of em ta do you much good.Otherwise the trye places locally will give or sell ya old tyre weights which are okay though do give off a lot of scum and a fair bit of stuffin about removin the metal from em after lead has melted.
    If your in the mood ta pass some time and dont mind inhalin the stuff lol no probs , though there is an alternative .
    Out along the Highway headin for Calliope opposite the water tender on the left there and adjascent to the dog kennells you will see a big Queenslander just over the railway line. Well just take a short drive past it and you will see a small limey lookin coloured house. Pop in and see the range of sinkers this fella makes if its sinkers your after and for the smaller ones aint worth the trouble sittin down makin your own.
    Any probs just PM me and will be glad ta give ya further directions, should have a phone number somewhere , will find it and post it to ya.
    Cheers

Hi all
    try your local radiator repair center (the solder they use is 50% lead +50%zinc) nice and clean and very few inpurities. they have a lot of waste from recore work when removing the top and bottom tanks

IF you can't get lead for free somewhere and you are only making small sinkers buy them allready made. For the price and hassle it just ain't worth it. I only make big sinkers now as the small ones are so cheap I don't like wasting time,effort and lead.
    Cheers Luke

mick

thanks everyone. only wanting to make heavy snapper style sinkers. even in solly's and crazy clarkes you pay though the nose.

im moving out to calliope next weekend so i'll be driving that way twice a day 6 days a week. will check it out. his first name would be good too.

m.j.b thanks for the offer but im geussing the price of freighting the lead from brissy to gladstone is ****ing huge.

I tried getting the lead out of an old car battery once.... it took hours, lots of water to make sure there was no acid arround, and chuncks of plastic everywhere, and once i got the lead i had to break a heap of black stuff out of the middle of it (carbon maybe) it took ages, and there wasnt really much lead in the end...but live and learn i guess
    Good luck

No drama Mick and agree, frieght could be a bit pricey. Did not realise you were up that way.

All the best in the hunt for clean lead. FYI, and if not already aware of it, there are serious hazards to pouring lead.

If your not aware of the dangers then let us know and safety list can be posted.

Have you ever tried using old nuts of various sizes & drilling a small hole diagonally across it to acommodate the line . The metal is a lot friendlier than lead & they do exactly the same job & are definately found in large numbers for free !!!!!!! 8)
    Cheers
    Fozz

Hey Mick,
    heading up that way in about 7 weeks. If you want I can bring 10-20 kilos up with me. Don't pay for the stuff mate.
    Cheers Luke