Thread: Treatment for cork butts

Treatment for cork butts

Hi Folks.

I've just pirchased an Okuma Epix Carbon Mesh TS-601-SPL spin rod. It has a very nice cork butt.

I was wondering what treatment, if any, the cork should be given before I expose it to the normal hazards of fishing?

Regards,

Michael

Re: Treatment for cork butts

G'day big_muddie,
    i own a few rods with cork butts myself, and there is nothing you can do without spoiling the look. However, if they get very dirty, i give them a light sand with 1200 fine emery, just to bring it up a bit.
    I have known others to give them a coat of lacquer. The look good at first, but end up crappy after a while.
    Hope this helps.
    Dudley

Michael,

All my flyrods have cork handles.

I don't do anything to then.

I just give my rods a hose down after a fishing trip and air dry them, before putting them into their rod sock and rod tube.

No problems.

Wes

Use a soft rag soaked in metho & give the grips a good cleaning to get rid of any grime, allow to dry, then store in usual way. Should keep grips looking good
    cheers
    DR

Thanks Fellas.

I'll take care of it as I do my other rods - always clean them up after a trip.

Regards,

Michael

Michael i do mine with bees wax i apply the wax to the cork then give it a good rub with a leather strap.it darkens the cork abit.
    billy