Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yanks love an accessory

Re: yanks love an accessory

Finnie,

Thanks for the URL - some big fish there then, probably a bit more interesting than the carp eh!.

No Carp are not eaten here, they are treated as gods, taken out of the water with special knottless landing nets after hooked, unhooked on inflateable unhooking mats so they are not damaged, and many of the big one have names like - no pelvics, orange, petals, raspberry, clarissa. Funny old world eh.

Thanks again for the info on Au fish.
    I talk about Au like it's the same all over like UK but I am getting the fell that it's like different countires - heat , mountains etc

Simonh

Finnie,

Thanks for the URL - some big fish there then, probably a bit more interesting than the carp eh!.

No Carp are not eaten here, they are treated as gods, taken out of the water with special knottless landing nets after hooked, unhooked on inflateable unhooking mats so they are not damaged, and many of the big one have names like - no pelvics, orange, petals, raspberry, clarissa. Funny old world eh.

Thanks again for the info on Au fish.
    I talk about Au like it's the same all over like UK but I am getting the feel that it's like different countires - heat , mountains etc

Simonh

Landy1 thenks for the interest,
    http://www.fisheries.co.uk/mallory/

http://www.go-fish.co.uk/venue_2759.htm

http://www.craig.banks.btinternet.co.uk/Fisheries.htm

If I can generalise, Most of the lakes are man made even if 100 years ago for the oldest, they do have trees and stuff around, Can be £3 per day or £500+ for a year, normally stocked from fisheries meaning rarley are "wild" fish cought.

Rivers are rivers , about 40 feet wide on average to half a mile wide the Thames in London. Many old gravel works are filled with fish . It's a very commercial feel over all.

I think cos' most of the fish are caught many times - we have to try much harder to catch them , they become shy to say the least.

I searched the web for a " scrubby creek - Brisbane ish " I think, I expected a 4 foot wide water like here in UK - it turnes out to be a wild river.

If you want some pictures then let me know.

"WE" call many of the lakes "holes in the ground" see craig banks site and look at nanpantan res.

Hope this helps
    Simon

PS
    You guys may have to drive further by hundreds of miles but you are very lucky, Apart from Rex Hunt " what a mad man" !!!

Also Landy1

The lakes there seem HUGE !

The average here is the size of a few football pitches , A big lake is about 10 acres.

Yours look like from pictures the size of some of our towns or villages ie 50 acres plus. Very scary to think about fishing a lake that size.

Simon

G'day simon

Ref: Your question how do carp kill other fish?

They're very invasive species and successful because they're hardy and adaptable, & can tolerate low oxygen levels and high salinities! preffering warm/still waters with silt bottoms.

They feed by sucking up mud and plants from the bottom and blowing out what they don't what! >This feeding behaviour (roiling) muddies the water and can uproot aquatic vegetation. Less light can penetrate muddy water resulting in reduced plant matter and oxygen levels.

While carp are'nt predators, it's possible tahey eat the eggs and disturb the laying sites of OUR native fish species.

Hope this helps Cheers Lyndo

Lyndo

I have to say you correct and right on all counts, I know carp do feed off reed stems which i know snails at least and fairly sure other fish lay thier eggz.

In the 1970's here everyone seemed to fish for bream and tench and now during winters alot fish for pike and pike perch, so i do think uk fishermen are very fond of fashion and fads, soon as a new bite indicator goes on the market then the " tackle tarts" pootle off and buy them , selling thier old ( 12 months old ) kit including reels - shimano etc on forums , nice for people who want kit but not pay high prices.

i am sure carp fashion will pass here in a few years, i mean you spend £2k on kit catch all or most of the biggest fish in the uk and nearby countries and - what do you fish for next ? , i here some go onto model car racing or golf or pilot licences etc.

Where abouts do you fish Lyndo , like to get a view of what i am missing out on.

Simonh

G'day Simon

I can't get over the $$$ use guys fork out to catch carp

Considering here in Queensland Australia we can be fined up to $150,000 if caught in possesion of them alive or dead*

We fish the Canungra creek(which ends up running into the Logan river eventually)for carp during the annual carp busters weekend.

>At the moment we are in a bad drought period and you can just about kick them out of the bloody pools in the Canungra creek

Cheers Lyndo

* The Fisheries Act 1994 was under review and I think it has been recommended that it no longer be unlawful to posses dead carp.
    Not certain but