Thread: Best Mono

Best Mono

I'm sick of trying out different mono line and the occasional braid and just not getting the results that i want!!!! I'm just fishing for bream round racks, piers and snags. Using an okuma epix 30 bait feeder and i would like the best line for the job (4lb-8lb). Good knot strength, low memory and reasonably thin. i want the lot please help as im sick of wasting my money through trial and error!!!!! cheers jesper

Re: Best Mono

i highly reccommend you try penn's products, i used to think nahh just a cheap'o brand, it's junk! BUT no i've beem told the facts, i'm a beliver,

A 500gram weight was attached to each line. The lines were pulled across a 150 grit abrasive wheel at the rate of 32 cycles a minute. Each line was tested 5 seperate times to determine the average number of cycles the line would withstand before failing.
    Sufix Synergy (or Penn 10X) 0.46mm 6991 cycles
    Ande Premium 0.45mm 198
    Bass Pro Shop 0.47mm 218
    Berkley Fireline 0.45mm 674
    Berkley Trilene XT 0.47mm 176
    Berkley Trilene Tournament 0.44mm 165
    Offshore Angler Extreme 0.45mm 365
    Stren Clear Blue Fluorescent 0.46mm 884
    Stren Super Tough 0.48mm 385
    Triple Fish Camo Escent 0.46mm 416

BUT saying that 10x has a poor refractive index so leaders must be used, i rekon penn powerline or S4 would be a good choice.

good luck

Alex

BTW i am no way affilated with penn, or being paid to say this, jack erskine endorsed products are real quality, he takes this line testing machine with him around all the major fishing shows.

Not that I use mono much these days but for bream fishing I don't think you can go past the Super 100 for great Dia. to breaking strain etc. etc.

Cheers

Simon.

Pink or Platinum is my choice in mono.
    Until next time...

Agree with Simon, Super 100 is great, thin diameter, good knot strength and great abrasion resistance, hard to beat. Clutter.

Gotta agree with Alex B about the Penn lines. I've sat & watched the test done, didn't believe it & had to watch it twice more. Jack Erskine allowed me to set it up for myself just so I was sure it wasn't a setup. Absolutely great stuff.
    I run braided lines on spin/overheads & use the 10 X as a leader material. Also use 10 X as fly leader. The absasive resistance is too good to ignore.
    Don't care about the refractive index in most situations (I still catch the odd fish ).
    If the penn lines aren't to your liking, try the various Platypus lines; super 100 or platinum. (good aussie products too)

Cheers,

Fitzy..

As with Alex B, I am not currently affiated with Penn in any way shape or form.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Platinum.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

this is interesting stuff - good topic!

For the last 2 years I've been running 14lb & 18lb Berkley Trilene on my surf reels & I would rate it as the best line I've ever used in the surf (conceding abrasion resistance in the surf is a minor issue).

It has no memory & as such throws off a side cast like a dream. I've been using slab baits exclusively this year & am yet to encounter any twist problems using only one swivel. It has low stretch & I'm feeling timid bites a lot better. Even with the low stretch & heavy rigs I havn't had a break off when casting at the tip or knot. The draw back it costs a packet.

I used the platypus range up to about 4years ago but line twist drove me nuts. I swapped to Ande which performed better than platypus but still twisted & seemed to get brittle after about 6months use.

I haven't used platypus recently, maybe its improved - as a winter months beach-bum I'm sold on Trilene with runs on the board.

thats my 2 cents,
    chris

Jesper,

I spend most of my time fishing for Bream around the points/rocks in the Cleveland area.

I have 3 rods I use for this:
    1 has 4kg Penn 10x
    the other 2 have 9lb Platypus Platinum.
    Both lines work great for me although the 10x seems to be more abrasive resistant.

mate I have had the same problem, there are plenty of 4lb - 8lb lines available with thin diameter etc but some are not all they are cracked up to be. I used to use platypus platinum in 6lb for whiting and bream as it is very fine diameter and almost invisible underwater, also reasonably easy to tie however it is not very abrasion resistant and after 20 or 30 casts in the surf will snap like spiders web. I have recently experimented with platil and Tortue Nacrita 6lb line and have found both to be excellent. Tortue Nacrita (brown colour) lasts much, much longer than any other line I have tried in these classes and has a very strong knot strength using a uni knot. I would be interested to hear which knots other people are using for fine mono in the 4 - 6lb classes. Hope this is of some use to you.

Ausfish Addict

All my lines were penn until i was burgled, unfortunatley when the inusurance paid up i could only get platypus ..but i am happy with that now .. I have also discovered at tackle world outlets they have a cheap line around $8 for 300 mtrs..depending on line class..it does the job for hand lines (15kg) and spooling a peen 330 gti.
    cheers.

leroy

I'm fairly new to this fishing stuff myself and have tried only a few lines so far. At the moment I am using LOFTY'S EXTREME in 10lb on a baitcaster, 5lb on a light spinning outfit and 20lb on an Alvey for the beach. It is very thin for its breaking strain, little or no memory and knots tie easy and are strong.

The only problem I have had so far is seeing the bloody thin 5lb line to tie knots! Gotta got my glasses checked.

Other than that, so far so good.