Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beach Rod

Beach Rod

I'm just new to the Qld beach scene. Any suggestions on a beach rod to buy. Mainly for tailor.

Cheers, MON. ???

imported_admin

Re: Beach Rod

Hi

I would suggest you look at the Snyder Magagraphite Surf Whitetip 136 (13foot 6 inch) nice light rod with plenty of power. Match it with a 6500BCV Alvey and you have a great beach setup.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey

Hey Mon,
    Mate I'm just getting into surf fishing myself. I have bought a 13foot Gary Howard swallowtail surf rod with a 6000BC-V alvey. The rod works like a dream for casting, nice sensitive tip but has a lot of power in the lower part of the rod. Good luck in your final decision!
    cheers jack

Good basic rig for Taylor is a 6 1/2" Alvey reel on a rod built from a 7162 blank (13 foot 6). Budget comes into what type of alvey you put on it but I run 15lb Platnum line on my reel. Never had any drama with it. Watch out for some of the cheaper rods you get in some of the department stores, can get caught out at times, usually pays to get them from reputable tackle shops. Cheers, Clutter.

Finnie

This post might get me shot by all the Alvey-lovers out there (I'm ducking for cover already!), but I am thinking about investing in my first beach rod as well.

Now, money being a bit limited, I was leaning towards the old "Rex Hunt" Beach Combo that consists of a Shimano 12ft beach rod and a Shimano eggbeater reel that you can get from K-mart. Any opinions on this rig as a starting kit, keeping in mind that the budget is limited and this is more an exploratory "see what this beach-fishing stuff is like" rod than anything else. The kit sells for around the $130 mark.

I think I might have to develop an "Alvey-lovers" sidestep after this effort!

Cheers,
    Finnie

It would be fine to start with a combo like that. I am not sure about the exact combo you are talking, but a 12 foot rod and a reel to match will work, no doubt about it. Trouble is if you find you do like beach fishing, you will be out buying another real with in a short time period.

Alveys are bascically indestructable, and therefore are the best choice for the beach. Sure you can use the others, but stressing about getting a bit of sand on your reel now and then takes the fun out of it. Sand will destroy both spin and baitcast reels quite quickly.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

finnie,
    if you want to avoid the nasty sniggering behind your back on a Qld beach, you'll probably find Wilson in conjunction with Alvey have a similar beach kit for about the same money.
    You do pay for what you get. I've got a couple of the Rex junior combos that I use for bait jigging & they make an excellent whiting rod with their soft action. We've boated a stringray 3ft across the wings on one so they perform ok. The runners though are cheap quality & the bindings not well sealed so expect corrrosion if you don't flush it well after use.
    The reason Qlders luv Alveys? Our sand is finer than the sand down south & gets into reels easier, dunk an alvey & the sands gone - no worries - dunk an eggbeater & the salt will have it seized before your next trip - even expensive shiny GIRLIE reels like Penns eh Mal! (private joke).
    The $130 Rex outfit will work but won't last & the eggbeater will need alot of care after beach use. How keen are you? Double the money & you'll have an outfit that'll see 10 years of beach abuse easy.
    seeya in the surf,
    chris

Ausfish Addict

i have a wilson light to medium rod 13'6" with a medium butt..had to go this way as i use an eggbeater of the wall and the alvey off the beach, the rod was around the $130 mark...i wont be replacing the beater when it wears out tho..too much maintenance even after fishing of the rocks..salt spray, fine sand etc. Like chris said you only get what you pay for
    cheers.

Finnie,

Amart Allsport has a sale on at the moment and you can get the 650B which is probably the best allround Alvey for $70 fish a crappy fish scaler etc.

With the other $60 you could get a 13'6 rod - wouldn't be top class mind you but you'd be closer to the mark than a Rex Hunt combo.

Bugman

Finnie

Thanks for your comments. What I'll do at this point is wander down to the local fishing shop and see what sort of beach rod they can do me for the $60-$80 dollar mark. I don't want to spend too much on the rig, but am mindful of getting something that will handle the abuse it sounds like beach fishing dishes out.

If I can find a rod to match, I'll ring a friend in Brisbane and get the 650B I guess......can't have the QLDers laughing at my threadline on the beach now can we!

Cheers,
    Finnie

Andrew

There is a fully sealed threadline reel by michell - only $200.00 plus?

ebay and sold.com have good deals on second hand gear.

If you want a cheap alvey - metal backed 650 - email me at ajenkings@shoal.net.au and we'll talk, Andrew.

Thanks. I got myself an Alvey 650B and a 13'6" graphite one piece from Jones' Tackle. Going for a drive to Bribie tomorrow to give it a go.

MON.

Good Combo, let us know how you go. Just a tip on casting though. Extend your right arm up the rod, 3 feet of so above the reel. You'll find it alot easier and less stressful on the old wrist than if you leave it down just above the reel. Have a look at others doing the same job, you'll get more distance too if needed. Clutter

sounds like a nice rig you have mon just remember when you get home from fishing the beach to wash your rod down and rinse out your reel. As in some of the post i have read in here people are saying the sand and salt will wear out your gear and this is very true. I have abu 7000 reels that i use of the beach and rock and have never had a problem with them. # As i wash all my gear down every time i go out. It will not mater wether its alvey or peen or abu they will all wear out in no time if you dont spend the time on your gear.

cheers spinna 8)

Thanks Clutter. Had a cast on Sunday at Bribie Island took a bit of getting used to, plus the wind was a bugger.

MON.