Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bait runner reels

Re: Bait runner reels

Does anyone know why the shimano big longcast baitrunner is so expensive - from what I have seen it is similar to the btr 6500 but with the longcast spool - perfect for jewies off the beach, but it retails for around $500 !!

Guys,
    I own Shimano Baitrunners 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500 and the 6500.
    The big 6500 is the only one in regular use now as I am into distance surf fishing and mainly use Penn 525 T Mags, Abu 6500 CT and Daiwa 7HT baitcasters.
    The introduction of Fuji Low Rider guides have revolutionised threadline distance fishing as have long cast spools and IAR roller bearings.
    Threadline tournament distances are fast approaching those made by conventional baitcasters and Peter Thain (UK) recently cast 227.56 metres using a Shimano Big Baitrunner, 0.28mm mono and a 125 gram sinker.
    I am currently looking at the larger threadlines in a series of articles in a fishing magazine (to name it could be percieved as spamming) and have looked, in depth at the Big Baitrunner in one article and the Banax Helicon in a previous one.
    A couple of observations.
    Bail arms are susceptible to premature closure during a power cast and need to be locked. Bail lock is easier achieved on a threadline with an external bail trip although any reel with an IAR roller bearing has provision to lock the bail automatically. Daiwa and Banax go the external trip route while Shimano use an internal trip.
    After stripping down and fishing with both the Big Baitrunner and the Banax Helicon (which has the baitfeeder feature) there is little to choose between the two reels. There is also little difference between the RRP's but as in everything - you get what you pay for.
    I won't comment on reels which I have had no experience with but, no doubt, I will get to strip down and cast the Okuma's and Tica's in the future.
    One threadline feature which no manufacturer has attempted to answer yet is the question of spool lock. On big threadlines, unless the drag is locked tight, the line can slip resulting in a badly cut index finger. This means that the drag is constantly locked, and released to strike drag, which results in compression and excessive wear of the drag components. Spool lock is even more important with the increased usage of GsPE and although there are other methods of achieving spool lock, without locking the drag, it would be nice to see a threadline with a spool lock. Both D A M and Mitchell have had threadlines with both spool and bail locks in the past so it can't be too difficult.
    BTW whilst I service all my own reels I have always been chicken to dismantle the Shaimano baitrunner components. I partially dismantle to get to the main gear, shaft and oscillating gear and use a light spray of WD40 in the baitrunner area so that nothing seizes up. Despite more than average use none of my 5 Shimano Baitrunners have ever performed less than perfectly and as I said previously - you get what you pay for.
    Cheers
    Tred

Tred,
    I pulled down my fathers 6500 last year as the main bearing went in it. They are very easy to pull down, with the only thing to watch is how the bail arm mechanism goes. It comes off as one piece but it has several parts, as long as you don't drop it something like that, they are a piece of cake.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Guys I've got a Shimano 3000 baitrunner I've had it and abused it for 12years,used it on everything from Jacks to spotty mackerel,and I can't kill it.
    Cheers Flynny

I own the 4500 and 6500 baitrunner and they are great. I just bought a Tica Sportera, it's the same size as a 4500. I pulled it apart and can't see anything wrong with it and for $169 at Amart with a spare spool they are great value. A mate of mine has the Thunnus and really uses his gear and can only praise them but at nearly $400 each you would expect it

imported_admin

Davo

Glad to hear you like the Tica Sportera. Have sold quite a few from the site and have not had any bad feedback on them. Only thing you should have done was buy it on line, have them on sale at the moment for $150.00 + GST. As a member of the site though I would have offered you an even better price

If anyone else is interested you can check them out at http://www.ausfish.com.au/tica

I haven't had a chance to use a Sportera yet, keep selling the extra one I buy in to keep for myself. I own a Tica Sculptor though and took it on a trip to Darwin earlier in the year and am very impressed with it, great little bait caster.

have a look at the note posted by 'tred' on page 2 of this discussion, the whole thing has been copied practically word for word from a magazine article, qfm i think. weird...

Not so weird whopper - I wrote both the article and the post.
    Cheers
    Tred

onya Tred, fairly indepth post.

The consenses here is that Shimano are " The " baitrunners at the moment.

Have just picked up a Tica Sportera from Steve ( ausfish ) and will be giving it a due working over, during the summer months. I will be spooling it up with braid ( Bionic ) probably, marry it up to a 8ft spin outfit ( ugly or firestick ) sort of thing. Stay tuned for my report.

And YES Davo, Steve would have done a better price than that. Probably pays to give Steve a tingle before your next " fishing " purchase and see if he can help.

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Tred,
    I too have all the baitrunners in there respective boxes and leave them there as i prefer to use a spinning reel with a low drag setting and then adjust it to suit the rod when the fish is hooked. This way the rod is not overloaded as many fish foke tend to do these days with the advent of braided lines.
    I have also built a loomis 12 ft with low rider guides over normal guides teamed up with stella 10000 and 50lb braid and have a distance of 15m more over normal guides although i need a whole mullet to get a bend in the rod.
    IMO Graham

Whopper,
    The big baitrunner is identical to the thunnus with a long cast spool if you put them side by side , that might explain the price.
    Give me a penn live linner or okuma coronado or the black okuma baitrunner any day over the shimmano . I have used all 3 and prefer them in that order but alas i have sold them all now , except for the shimano ones as they are becomming collectible.
    Graham

I love my thunnus reels, I use them to live bait big kingfish. They are way above the plastic model. However they have not been imported here for a few years.
    There are some still in shops. There is a big mother Thunnus AT Doug Burts , I bet could be bargan sold right now

I dont think these guys are around any more, tred & whopper !
    They havn't posted for 6 years ...

Mark

i own the 4500 & 6500 shimano's and they are better than other brand baitrnners imo. mo tackle has these reels on special at the mo ranging from $149 for the 3500 to $179 for the 6500. the big baitrunner is also in there for $299. now these are all bargains. get on their website at www.########.com.au
    shimano sale is on

shane

Quote Originally Posted by imported_admin View Post
    Davo

Glad to hear you like the Tica Sportera. Have sold quite a few from the site and have not had any bad feedback on them. Only thing you should have done was buy it on line, have them on sale at the moment for $150.00 + GST. As a member of the site though I would have offered you an even better price

If anyone else is interested you can check them out at http://www.ausfish.com.au/tica

I haven't had a chance to use a Sportera yet, keep selling the extra one I buy in to keep for myself. I own a Tica Sculptor though and took it on a trip to Darwin earlier in the year and am very impressed with it, great little bait caster.
    Have had a sportera 4507 for a number of years now.reel seat is too narrow (far to much wobble) which in turn makes the stem flex.OK for small fish,twists up on larger fish.Not that happy with it considering the cost a few yaers back.
    Cheers Reidy