Thread: 1st timer Fraser Island

Darren_Daly

1st timer Fraser Island

Howdy doody, Im heading to Fraser in a couple of weeks and Im looking at a new weapon to take with me.
    Being a boat bum fisherman Ive never really looked at beach rods.
    Im your mate who loves fishing but has no gear!!
    So the time has come for me to splash some cash.
    Ive got about $200-250 to spend and Im 6ft and 75kg(wet weight).
    Ive used an Alvey before but everytime I tried to cast a flock of birds would nest at the tip.
    Are Alveys the way for plebs like me or eggbeater?
    I was shown a Helicon 5400 reel on a Snyder rod 13ft for $300.. a bit out of my range, is it a good set up?

Re: 1st timer Fraser Island

DazD, Go for the alvey set up, in my opinion the advantages far outweigh those of a threadline. If you work at certain aspects you will quickly fix the birds nest problem. Firstly, buy a quality rod with quality guides such as Fuji, something like a Garry Howard built rod if you can afford it, and dont use line that is too heavy. Unless your chasing Jew or XOS tailor 12lb should be heaps, even 8 - 10lb if you are only after choppers, bream, dart and flathead etc. It amazes me that many shops recommend 15 - 20lb for normal surf fishing, this is a big overkill. Secondly, try casting with your left hand at the reel and your right up the rod say 2-3ft using an overhand motion (assuming you are right handed). This will put a lot more power in your cast and with some practice the line should be flying off that spool - you should be able to easily outcast standard threadline gear with an alvey and a good rod. Something in the 12ft, 650 alvey range with a fairly sensitive tip and good strong butt will suit your needs for bream and dart but will still throw a pillie and a 5 ball sinker when you go after a tailor or two. disregard anything anyone tells you about dunking alveys in the surf to clean them - although they can stand up to this it really isnt necessary - keep it out of the sand and surf, service it occasionally and you will have a great reel that will go along on your next 10 or 15 years worth of surf trips. hope this helps...

Darren_Daly

Cheers shark, I was thinking noone wanted to reply!!!and the mention of Fraser was "tabu".
    Im thinking Ill be going the Alvey I likeked the look of the 650b for a $110 to the door, on the web site.
    Ill be practising casting in my local park, the kids think Im crazy.....
    Would the Snyder rod and Alvey be a good one?
    Darron

Hi DazD,
    Check out ebay (I saw a couple on there last night that may suit you 1 was $70 I think).I got a 650c loaded with line for $50 about 3 months ago, and I bought a 12ft silstar power tip rod at amart for $80 and have just come back from Fraser and it performed very well. For all you need to know about alveys try this link.

http://www.alvey.com.au/

There are sections on casting, beginners, surf fishing and maintenance that should help you out.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><