Thread: Line abrasion

Line abrasion

Hi guys. On my 5 inch Alvey/Snyder 8 foot combo, I keep getting line abrasion in the exact same spot; about 14 feet from the end of the line. Which means the line that gets abraded is still on the reel before I cast. I've checked the reel, runners and rod, and can't find anything that might cause this abrasion. It's quite annoying because after 50 casts or so, the line is abraided enough that I have to cut and re-tie. Any thoughts?

Scottie in Chicago where I took my first Chinook of the season, a gorgeous 15 pounder.

Re: Line abrasion

Scottie i'm really not sure what cause the line abrasion.
    But instead of alway cutting off sections of your main line, you could try a long wind on leader, this way your only replacing the leader instead of the main line.
    Maybe making the leader out of Penn X which is quite abrasive resistant would help too .

Steve Ooi

Thanks Steve, I have some 20 pound line that I'll tie on as a leader, about 20 feet or so. That should help considerably seeing as the main line is 10 pound.

Cheers, Scottie

Scottie,
    Not sure, been that long since I used an Alvey in anger, tho I don't ever recall that problem.
    Don't know if you have the same brand lines over there, You should be able to get the Suffix lines (Same as the Penn 10X & S4) They're the best going for abrasion resistance.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au