Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrome lures

Chrome lures

hey guys
    While cruising the shelves in kmart today (in the fishing section, where else?!?) I discovered chrome lures. I found two different chrome lures, one lure in which the ends were bent so that when retrieved it splashed along the surface and others which looked much like a lead pilchard (both made by Halco) Does the lure witht he bent ends rust? Does it work?
    If it does work does anyone have a preference for what size is good to target flathead, and tailor (in the surf)
    cheers jack

Re: Chrome lures

They do work and no they don't usually rust but the finish does deteriate over time, particularly with teeth marks from taylor etc. They are commonly referred to as "slugs", I have used from 10 gram to 65 gram for taylor but have never used them for flatties. You usually use them with a high speed retrieve and as such have never targeted flathead with them but am sure someone would have caught them with this type of lure. Cheers Clutter.

Hi
    I have used the chrome(stainless) with bent ends and a flash up the side and a small red tag on the treble ring, 40 to 60 grams for samon, couta, pike, tailor and also caught wrasse on the odd occasion. when retreive the bent ends do create a small amount of movement but I don't retreive or trawl fast enough to get them on top of the water.
    cheers blaze

hey guys
    what do you think of the, I htink they are called wobblers. They are shaped like a small fish and kinda look like a small spoon,and it says on the back of the pack that it creates a vibration that excites the fish. Heard of it?
    (made by halco)
    cheers jack

When they were first made they were called "Wonder Wobblers" as far as I can recall. I've had one for over 25years. Never used it much though but I have caught pike and taylor with it. I'm sure at some time or another most anglers would have had one in their tackle boxes. They came in different sizes too I think, 10 grams to about 40 grams. Cheers Clutter.

hey clutter
    yeah that rings a bell. Have you heard of them catching flathead and if so do you have a zise prefernce?
    cheers jack

Have seen flatties caught by a mate on Wild Cattle Island up Gladstone way. Think it was around the 20 gram mark, about 40mm long without the hooks. I usually use a small swivel on the front of anything like that to minimise line twist. Clutter.

Well as far as i'm concerned, you shoudln't go fishing without a wonder wobbler in your tackle box.

i have a 10g lure and i mainly bought it for salmon. but i've caught the odd flathead on it and the salmon just love it.

Thier shape hasn't changed 1 bit over the last 10 or so years and it doesn't need to. these lures have a great action in the water, even the small size lure and can be retrieved slow or fast.

i'd probably recommend changing the hooks on the smaller lures to stainless steel, rather than the brass that they come with.

hi guys
    clutter, Yeah I was thinking of getting a 20 gram one, not too big not too small.
    J_Large, thanks for your help will go out as soon as possible and get one
    cheers jack

hey J_Large
    mate I settled on a 10 gram one. What other fish have you caught ont he 10 gram one?
    cheers jack
    p.s by the way the trebles are stainless steel.

either my memory is going or i bought the lures with brass hooks.

umm.. well. i haven't been fishing too much in the last few months as i've taken Surfing as my new found hobby.

they catch all the ranges of salmon, and i bet if mackeral or tailor were around they would be sure to catch them.

Hey j_large
    thanks, maybe you got the three pack I think they come with brass hooks do the lures have a red tag on the treble ring?
    cheers jack

nope. just the plain silver wonder wobbler.
    i spose i was just too lazy to check out the lure to see if it really had a brass hook on it or not. my tackle box is 5 m away. brb, i'll just look.

yup. it does have a brass hook and it's preety rusty already.

hey J_Large
    oh well. Mate I am going to buy a three pack of wobblers can you use the 30 gram in the surf for tailor and do a fast retrieve or would it be better to go for a 20?
    cheers jack

why not get one of each size, they are only a couple of bucks each. that way you can chop and change lures and might catch more different species of fish.

remember the heavier the lure the faster you will have to wind it in