Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chrome lures

Re: Chrome lures

Thanks guys
    I'll see if I can get a Raider then from Kmart, im strapped for cash at the moment and the nearest Kmart is in Toowong. Was thinking of making my own, I saw in a book about making a wobbler and tailor lure out of a teaspoon by cutting where the spoon meets the handle then drilling two holes in the handle and the spoon for treble and split ring. Plus they don't rust!
    cheers jack

CHRIS_aka_GWH

jack,
    give it a go - why not? Just don't touch the old lady's good silver.

That's how spoons got their name. Ask any old salty mackeral fisherman & I'll guarantee they all used to troll a spoon bigger than a teaspoon though - more like a big tablespoon size, they were one of the originals.

Tailor will hit anything at times - I've got them on the cardboard from an IQF pilchard carton put on a gang & jerked around after we ran out of bait one morning on south straddie.

chris

hahahahahahah
    cool
    yeah, mum has a couple of cheap spoons that i can use if not ill get some froma s ecnd hand store
    cheers jack

Of late I have been making these out of Brass. I have recently used them spinning for Tailor off the rocks and for bonito off the boat with results I am completely satisfied with.

Reading this post I think the most science goes into the wonder wobblers, but the raider style for high speed spinning does not have to be picky at all I reckon. (would be interested in hearing if any feel different about that - and why)

About the only allowance for 'action' in the water is that I have sanded the opposite corners to create a bit of 'work' as it moves through the water - which works fine. I have been speaking with some others who make their own metals and they tell me you don't need to be even that fussy for the tailor. See the post about 'Bait or Lures?'

I have also painted a couple white on one side which also works well as the brass gets a bit dull after a session or two - I usually run the sander over them lightly after a fish to restore the shine.

I make them instead of buying because I fish off the rocks and it's not unusual to lose a couple in a session - very expensive if shop bought - but at less than $1.50 a pop it's cheaper than bait.

Anyone else using home made?

Cheers
    Steve.

they look great,
    where do you get the brass from?
    What sort of tools would I need to make them
    cheers jack

Righto then!

I get the brass from the local Bunnings - which is not really ideal as I could only get stuff about 2mm thick - I think that 3-4mm thick is ideal an some of the other blokes I have spoken to have found that stuff at plumbing supplies etc. Because it is too thin I join two pieces together.

I cut two pieces about 6cm long - which gives me about 35gms of metal and offset them about 1cm lengthwise against each other. then I drill a couple of 7/64 holes through the middle and put a 1/8 metal screw through to join them together. Sometimes the screws shear off when I put them in which seems to work perfectly as it tends to shear off flush with the surface - If not I hacksaw them off. (This part is obviously not necessary if you can find brass of the right thickness.)

Once I have done that I put the metal in the vice, drill the end holes and shape the ends with a grinding stone on the end of my electric drill. I find it's better to put the end holes in first as you can shape around them to make the metal around the hole a uniform thickness.

Once I have a good shape I use a fairly fine sanding bit to polish it up some - I tried really fine wet and dry and found that polishing brass tends to make it quite dull! A medium to fine sander puts a nice shine onto it and allows you to do some final shaping of the unit. After that attach the split rings, then the swivel and lastly (painful experience here) the treble.

Tools - Electric drill, Vice, 7/64 drill bit, Grinding bit (wish I had a bench grinder!) sanding attachment and a pair of split ring pliers to put the rings on.

Ingredients.
    1.8M Brass 12x2mm - $12 (approx 15 lures)
    split rings - $3.50 for 20
    Trebles - 30c each
    Swivels - 5c each?
    Total - about $1.35 each - plus tools of course!

Sorry if you have more information than you really asked for - I had a lot of fun learning how to do this - and it still gives me a buzz to bring in a fish on a bit of gear I made myself. I hope you give it a go and let me know how you do!

Cheers
    Steve.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

great post steve ! fascinating stuff.
    chris

thanks steve sounds great!
    Will try and buy those attachments asap
    cheers jack

A long time ago I was fishing with three guys at Red Bluff north of Cuvier and spinning with a lead head jig. Anyway as I retrieved the jig it got followed by 6 tuna, either Big Eye or Southern Blues, all over 150 pounds, huge monsters. One of these things swallowed the jig. I just did nothing and it spat it out, like pooft and out it came. Dick Baker dropped a small sliced lure in there and had it scoffed by a tunny which went flat out across Red Bluff bay and removed all of the line of the 499 Mitchell in seconds, Mal Parker had a half ounce Halco Wonder Wobbler on his gear and waved it in front of a beastie, which swam up and down the rocks a few times hanging on to it and when Mal gave the thing a hit it went away with a big boil of water. All gear lost, they called me gutless, they were right but that tunny must have been the biggest fish ever hooked on a half ounce Wonder Wobbler. So little flashy lures do work, sometimes too well Cheers Max

One metal that really surprised me was a fairly basic coloured one from Gillies. Bought a few when we went to Thevenard Island in July. They were in the cheap bin and thought, why not.

Ended up having to stock up on them on the Island as everything was hitting them. Mainly in the blue, but the gold did well.

hey mate
    yer seen them too. But still a bit expensive.
    cheers

Must admit, I wouldn't have paid full price. Still, the bargin bin is always a good place to hunt around.

Cheers,
    Sean Forward.