Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raider Lures

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Raider Lures

jack,
    the Raider lure is worth the money, struth it's about the price of a small bag of IQF pillies from the local servo.

I've used a lot of chromes for tailor, tuna & macs & Raider top the list by a long way. They are rear weighted & outcast any lure of similar weight I've encountered. They carry heavy duty trebles.

You would have to be a nong to lose $100 worth in a session. In the last 3 years I've lost two. One last May when a whaler shark totally engulfed my lure with tailor attached 10 feet from the boat & one about 18 months back when I stupidly (full of adrenalin) cast to the centre of a school of tuna in the bay hooked up & one of the tuna's buddies swam over the line.

Always cast to the outskirts of a school - never use a leader cause no matter what way you attach to the main line you will create a bubble stream at high speed that will have fish hitting your main line.

go the Raider jack but do experiment as well, that's half the fun of fishing.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Thanks chris
    was going to buy a raider coz i had hear they were good but now i know how good.
    Cheers mate
    notsureifillseeyainthesurf

The blokes who lost the 100 bucks worth were very experienced fishos, the spotties were everywhere, any lure that had action like a raider was gone, hundreds of them just went crazy for the lure as it hit the water, our boat caught and released around a hundred mackerel than morning, normal slugs were about 1-6 bite off rate.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

sheez !! I'd pay $100 or gladly sell a kidney for a session like that.

chris

Jack,

more details about the barrell sinker lures. I should say they are not my idea, but I've read about them in a couple of magazines and made and used some myself. I would suggest using barrell sinkers about 3-4 cm long. Use galvanised or copper wire through the middle for the loops. I just give them a few taps with the hammer to flatten them slightly and then bend the slightest 's' curve in them. Paint them white or white and red, or stick some shiny/flashy stuff on the sides. Flatten them more and put more bend in them to suit a slower retrieve.

One last but very important tip is to never use a snap swivel or even a snap if you are chasing tuna as it puts the fish right off.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

thanks jeremy
    much appreciated
    cheers jack

Im with you CHRIS

When i was pro fishing and chasing the kingies and bonnies all we would use were raiders. You would try different lures and yes you would still catch fish but no where near as many as you would on raiders. Well worth the money.

cheers spinna 8)

Thanks guys
    I will be dropping into Mossops tomorrow to get a new Raider with a blue streak
    cheers again

Jack, how many times have lures caught you mate you must have about 20 all up, I can sense you will have a big tackle box one day, there must be at least 1 lure out there that will get a fish for you,hope its the raider, lol

Rob

yer rob
    hope so ay
    cheers jack

CHRIS_aka_GWH

jack,
    as a guide these are the three raider sizes I use & what I use them for.

20 gram - best size I find for tunas etc blue green stripe best. Good for chopper tailor as well.

65 gram - my most productive tailor lure (blue/purple stripe), caught 14 tailor in 20 mins May this year including having to rerig after that whaler had a feed, plus other good sessions. Does have small trebles if you notice tailor are throwing the hooks swap the trble for a 4/0 or 5/0 7766. Also caught trevally, tuna etc. THIS IS THE LURE SIZE I WOULD RECOMMEND IF YOU WERE ONLY GOING TO OWN 1 RAIDER.

125 gram - this is my BIG casting lure when the fish are wide. Probably a little heavy for your light surf rod but man it flies. It's a great lure when the tailor go outside a gutter, you get a fish on with big cast of this baby & pull the fish in slowly - the school often follows the activity & you can bring them back in. Have caught school & spotty mackeral in the bay as well.

hope this helps jack,
    chris

hey chris
    yer mate, you have helped a lot!
    Will have a look at the different sizes.
    cheers jack

Big W had them on sale from about $5-6 for 20 and 30 grams ones.

thanks mate
    will look up my nearest one, went to mossops today but was closed got there too late
    cheers jack

Jack
    let me know what size and what they cost up there and ill see what my old pro partner can get them for ok

cheers spinna