Thread: Rod Lathes

Rod Lathes

Just wondering if anyone has a rod lathe set up, what bramds to look at and the such and if there was a site where they sold them online or some shops where i could buy some.
    im in Nsw in Newcastle so, The shop would have to be around here somewhere.

Thanks

Re: Rod Lathes

Check out the Mo-Tackle catalogue ,they have one in there.Though having personally used one of them i would have thought $$ wise theyde be a tad better value.
    I believe Frogglies agencies used to get some good Rod Lathes in with the extensions for longer Rods??.
    Otherwise ask at your local tackle dealer see if he cant get ya one in.

G'day. I made my own, utilising an old sewing machine with foot control, that i picked up at a trash and treasure market for $25. I made a timber bed to mount it on. Total costs about $100.
    I use b b q rotisseries as dryers.
    $25/ea with a home made stand.
    If you would like, email me on wefishtoo@hotmail.com and i can send you photos. I have helped out at the local tackle shop on their aluminium machine($900) but prefer mine as it is more solid.
    Good luck

march bush and beachhas a article on building your own lathe sounds pretty simple

Hi all
    Its not hard to make your own rod lathe. I made mine with free standing rollers so that i can do long or short rods. My power supplie was made from an old tranformer that cuts the power down from 240volts to 22volts. I can cut it down from 22 to 3 volts just by turning a knob by doing so i can speed up or slow down the motor witch is a 22volt motor.
    I will try and put up some pics this weekend .

cheers spinna 8)

make your own. I did, with a variable speed garage door motor ( a small one) and i fitted a sewing machine foot pedal, works a treat. And i made the holders from wood and cut vee's in them and put towel in the vees so the blank is not damaged.

There is a book out by Dale Clemens,Advanced Custom Rod Building, which gives you all the diagrams, pictures etc that you would ever need, to make your own lathe and a variety of jigs and attachments.
    It also provides good alternatives for custom made grips , handles etc.
    The book is excellent, along with his other book , Custon Rod Thread Art.
    They each sell for around $70, but well worth it. Generally found at larger tackle stores.

[img]http://www.ausfish.com.au/chatRe: Rod Lathes

I got a sewing machine motor today, Im going to steals Pete Plans.........Thanks Pete.
    Should see the setup hes got boys simple yet affective.....
    and very Helpful to boot.

Neville

i built my own using ideas from Dale Clements books years ago,it has worked a treat and the results have been excellent.
    The motors i have used were a sewing machine motor with foot pedal and I also have a motor and gear boxes from one of those side show clowns that have the turning heads it comes down in speed to 10rpm. so build your own and have fun.

bob_h

i built mine using a sewing machine motor and foot pedal and to slow the motor down just use a light dimmer or a ceiling fan control switch, you can get it to go as slow as you like