Thread: Any ideas on gear to use?

Any ideas on gear to use?

I have recently arrived in Australia from the UK and so have very little knowledge of the fishing to be had around your shores. I am planning a trip down to Narooma NSW this weekend for a spot of beach/ rock fishing and would be grateful if anyone could let me know what fish I would be most likely to encounter, and what rods, reels rigs etc you would suggest for the task. I am not particularly interested in targeting any one species as I'd like to see what you have lurking around!
    Also what is the after dark fishing like in this area?

Thanks

Re: Any ideas on gear to use?

Dave,

I would suggest that if you don't have very much fishing experience that you do not go rock fishing.

In Australia, rock fishing claims more lives than any other sport

It is not to be taken lightly.

I suggest that if you do want to learn about rock fishing, then you find someone experienced & follow their lead to learn the ropes.

Last thing I want to read in next weekends paper is "Dave Watson swept off rocks at Narooma"
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Thanks for the warning Heath, as it happens I stayed clear of the rocks this time due to the rough weather and stayed to the sheltered water, which was amazingly productive.
    I've had alot of experience on the rocks in the UK but the the techniqus and tackle required back home are very far removed from those used in Australian waters, fishing back home requires casts of 100yards minimum as a rule to get amongst the fish, so we generally use heavy duty beachcasting gear, where as this weekend on the advice of the local tackle shop I was using a 8' Penn graphite rod and a little ABU 6500 and I was plucking 30cm plus Bream from 20 - 30 yards out every couple of casts, I was in heaven!!!!
    Next time I visit Narooma I'll have to give the rocks a try depending on the weather that is

Dave,

typical beach/rock gear in Queensland in a 12-13 foot rod with a 650 Alvey sidecast reel. The longer rod gives longer casts, keeps the line out of the breaking waves or rocks, and gives greater control of fish when landing them. Average line would be 15 lb for tailor and bream, and maybe 6 lb for whiting.

I would have thought that tailor and salmon would be avsailable now from Southern NSW, as well as bream, and both of these take cast and retrieved metal lures. Pilchards on gang hooks are also good.

Good luck,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

G'day Dave.
    The beach to the north of the bar at Narooma can give up some nice salmon and tailor.
    I've caught some nice bream just on the upstream side of the bridge at night too.

Good luck, it's a great joint.

Cheers, NS