Thread: 50 / 80lb braid

Johnny_Rotten

50 / 80lb braid

Do any of you people use braid in the 50/80lb range on any of your reels?Thinking of spooling my 450H with 50lb Fireline,but open to "arguments" for or against the issue at hand.A mate has an Alvey he uses in the surf,which he swears by....a real stump puller on a 12' 9wrap.
    Thought it may be worth a go,my only concern is laying the line back without losing my fingers....lol.
    Any advice appreciated.

Re: 50 / 80lb braid

Yep on 6 reels

got 65lb,100lb,30lb,20lb on overhead,baitcasters and spinn reels and would not go back

Johnny_Rotten

cheers guys
    what brands do you use ???
    as I said,I'm thinking of Fireline,but is there a "better" fused (rather than TRUE braid) line around?
    thanx.

power pro, bionic braid, whiplash and tuff line I like the tuff line the best so far

fire line doesn't like scraping over any rough surfaces super braid is suposed to have excelant abraison qualities

cheers gary

I use super braid in 30 and 50. It goes slightly furry but I have never had it break and don't think it really affects it. I also like the bionic, have it in 30 and 20. Like the fireline for the small sizes like 4, 6 and 14.

Cheers, Clutter

Johnny_Rotten

agree with you caveman re abrasion qualities of the fireline......have lost many good fish due to dragging across a snag with taught line,but thats fishing.
    thanx for your thoughts guys

I have 20lb Tuffline XP on my Abu 6000C and just this morning it was pulling in 2kg salmon at the local warf and surviving the jetty pylons no problem and I have 100lb Whiplash on an Abu 9000CL that I use to winch 5-6kg Salmon up the 70 foot cliff at Millers hole (my local tackle store didn't have any 50lb at the time and the 100 was the same price as the 80) and I couldn't be happier with it.

Here's Millers Hole . A top spot if you're ever down south this way.
    I fish therefore I am

and again
    I fish therefore I am

80-100lb Braid ??? how the feck ya brek the stuff if ya get snagged??.
    Nice lookin country there bushbasher .
    Cheers

Johnny_Rotten

is that Millers hole on Eyre Peninsula,over Port Lincoln way?........ ??? if it is,have read heaps about the place and one day hope to get there.
    which company manufactures "whiplash", ??? as I have not heard of this brand before.
    thanx

I have 100lb wiplash and dont think it is as good as the 65lb tufline I also had 20lb wiplash and didn't like it either there are better braids out there

Volvo - I run a 4 metre 50lb mono leader ,40lb line from swivel to hook and 25lb mono from swivel to sinker and it's always the sinker that seems to snag so that's all I usually lose as the sinker line breaks before anything else.

Johnny Rotten - yup , you got it right , bottom of the Eyre Peninsula. Whiplash is a Berkley product . I paid 16c per metre to have it loaded onto my 9000CL from a bulk spool at my local tackle store.

Krazyfisher - I know there are better braids out there ,that's part of the reason why I went the 100lb over the lighter stuff and for 16c a metre it was ALOT cheaper than anything else I could get to fill the reel. I think I paid $54 for 337 metres in the end. I had planned to put on 50lb Tuffline but when I found out I could go 100lb whiplash for half the price it wasn't a hard choice to make even though the tuffline might be a better product. There's not alot of finesse in fishing Millers Hole just brute force and ignorance,lol, so the whiplash is more than adequate for the job and if I happen to lose part or all of it for any reason I'm not going to be nearly as upset as if it was over $100 worth of tuffline.
    I fish therefore I am

bushbasher
    that is the same reason I went with 100lb wiplash but after 6mths I got another rod and reel and paid the extra for the tufline and am very happy, but I do see your point $$$$$$