Thread: Alvey reel for Rocks and Surf

Alvey reel for Rocks and Surf

OK, since I'm in the mood for questions

I'm looking at buying a reel for my surf rod (shimano 12ft). I think, from a memory taxed by too many stubbies, that it is 7-15kg, but I could be wrong.

I don't currently do a lot of rock or surf fishing, but want to do more. However I can't justify lots of reels at the moment (well - the wife wont let me ).

I currently go for salmon, blackfish, bream and tailor, but would like to try for jewies, and drummer with a new rig.

So I'm looking for a general purpose reel, and have been looking at the 650 BE1 - Rockhopper special.

After all that preliminary the question is, would I be better of with a reel with a seperate handle for the drag (handles not directly attached to the spool), or is the drag setup on the BE1 (handles direct on spool) good enough (as long as you get your fingers out of the way quickly).

I realise that for drummer I would just need to grab the reel and hang on, but thats the joys of fishing

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Alvey reel for Rocks and Surf

steve,

how is the surf & rock fishing in Arimdale going ? #

My advice - go for a lever / stardrag reel (separate handles as you call it). I have heard & seen # knuckles bruised & cut by whiting on direct wind reels' handles let alone the blistering sprint for cover a drummer would do. Don't get me wrong though we still use them for their simplicity.

I use a 700C5 stardrag for beach & rock. Apparently the new vented lever drags are excellent & very lightweight - something worth consideration on the rocks. I don't think you can beat a stardrag on the beach for jewies.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Re: Alvey reel for Rocks and Surf

Chris,

Rock and beach fishing is great up here, but not a lot of surf in the Apsley river at the moment....or water the last time I looked

Thanks for your advice. I'll be in Sydney over the long weekend going woopeee with the plastic