Thread: Gaffs for rock and wall fishing

Gaffs for rock and wall fishing

I want to safely fish the rock walls and points around here.
    I am considering making a gaff as I cannot find one that is portable, able to break into components and that I can screw together.
    I have looked at hand spears but the aluminium at that guage is too flexible and I would need to buy 2 making the execise too expensive.
    Any one have any ideas??

Re: Gaffs for rock and wall fishing

Hi fixitupnow
    what about a roop gaff, they have an eye that ya loop over ya line and it runs down ya line to the fish, give it a bit of a tug to hook into fish and haul it up, best with a mate
    cheers
    blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH

the roop gaff (I've learnt a new word today) blaze refers to is also known as a flying gaff. They are excellent. They have oppossing twin hooks (gaffs) that are on a pivot. They generally hook up just behind the head on the fish. A good one does cost some dollars though.

Don't worry about flexiblity in a gaff pole. As long as you can accurately pull the gaff into the fish - its all about tension. You should not use any gaff like a lever - think of the handle more like a stiff rope that you PULL in & you've got the technique. Probably the cheapest option is long lengths of cane but as you said you are after something portable. There is a gaff / landing net combo (interchangeable head) you can buy with screw fittings that you can add lengths to infinitum.

chris

This flying gaff things sounds like just the thing for using off the end of Iluka wall. Those big cement blocks are
    1) Bloody slippery
    2) At all odd angles

Sometimes you can get to within 6 feet of the water, other times 20 feet,and that is with a small sea.

Would these be available at your "common or garden" tackle shop, or would I need to look further afield.

Funnily enough, our local tackle shop (Armidale) doesn't carry them. Somehow they think the local bass in the Macleay dont grow that big....but I'm still looking

I have got a 3pc screw together gaff. All up its about 12-14ft long. I think the brand is Wilson (have to check tonight).

I use this gaff off the rocks and breakwalls and it has always been long enough. I have taken it to Iluka wall but never had any reason to use it (unfortunatley).

One thing I have added is a long length of rope tied to the last section after my mates on was drooped in the drink after trying to gaff a fish.

Cheers

Jethro 8)

Thanks fellas, some great suggestions in there.

I used to use a flying gaff off the cliffs in WA... as you say, much easier with a mate but.
    A version of the opposing hooks sounds like the go... the ones I have seen aren't cheap but!

I'll have a look about to see if "Wilson" make anything that may be suitable for a pole gaff.

The cane idea is nice and cheap... I have a length but I thought it may be too flexible.........
    Cheers