Thread: Footware for the Rocks

Footware for the Rocks

I must admit I have been off the rocks for a while, but now intend to get back on them (around Coffs and Iluka). What is the current collective wisdom on footware while rock fishing? I used to have (30 years ago ) the old volley sandshoes with two 1 inch aluminium channels bolted to the sole and cut into a series of "Vs". Grip pretty well at the water line, but deadly walking across dry rocks....i think I still have those scars

Is there a better alternative now.....or do I go down to K-Mart to buy a cheap set of sandshoes

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Footware for the Rocks

ONeil surfwear make a below ankle high neoprene bootie for surfing off rocks etc. They are quite different from other boots you'll see & look wierd in that your big toe is sepearte fromt the remainder of your toes. They have a dimpled rubber sole that seems to grip anything. I have never slipped on the rocks around the tweed coast & North Stadbroke Is. wearing them & its surprising the extra grip you get from being able to bend your big toe seperately. You'll find them in a surf shop (of course).

chris

I bought a pair of those O'Neil Aquasocks to go surfing in Indo back in 95' and they were great. I have been using them off the rocks these last two years and the feel and grip you get with them are excellent. They are designed to be worn wet (a bit like a wetsuit for your feet) and they keep your feet nice and warm even in winter. At first I thought they might be a bit light on being only about 3mm thick, but they have been very durable - I reckon they do a great job.

I have also seen wetboots with much thicker soles at Amart, they cost less than the O'Neils but probably sacrifice a bit of feel for the extra ruggedness.

Cheers
    Steve.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

i've done a lot of landbased spearing in all manner of diving boot & the ONeill boot is far superior on rocks - trouble is it is no good under a fin being below ankle, velcro on top & the side tread ptrotecting the balls of your foot. It may be in part that very fine tread pattern that helps with the grip - I've found they even grip a poorly waxed board. I wish ONeill made a diving boot similar.

chris

I have seen a pair of wetsuit boots with a thick rubber sole. In the sole were small stainless steel pins that acted like cleets on wet and slippery rocks. But when the rocks were dry it was just like wearing a nornal shoe.

I can find out a brand if you like.

Cheers

Jethro 8)

Jethro,

Any information gratefully received.

Steve

I'm another with the O'Neil boots and mine are still going strong after 8 years use.