Thread: sunglasses

sunglasses

I need to buy a pair of poloroid sunnies for saltwater fly fishing up north. There are so many makes, lens colours, lens materials that it is too confusing for a simple guy like me. Can anyone give some advice?

Re: sunglasses

spotters penertrator lens or photochromatic lens out of makos, stalkers, fishx and many many cheap pairs these have been the best for me

Price shouldn't really an issue with sunglasses and it is not necessarily true that the higher the cost the better the product. The two most popular colours in glasses are smokey grey and amber. A simple test for good polarisation is to put two pairs together and rotate them. You will easily see what that produces and the darker the better.
    The glasses should wrap around your eyes and allow the majority if light to enter your eyes through the lens. If you are like me and already blind then get a set made up from your prescription. If you persist without it then you will only damage your eyes further.

I don't think that glass is any better than plastic.

Hope this helps.

Stalker Red Eliminator Lenses for me, tried 'em all and stopped at the Stalkers! 8)
    Rev!

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/bluffs/3583/catgifs/anicat21.gif

"Go n-ithe an cat thu is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat"

Hello Jock.
    I have used a pair of Makos [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] for the last 8 years and swear by them.
    They are glass lenses and cost a little more but are worth every cent I paid for them. Glass lenses don't scratch like plastic will and I have done some horrible things to mine and they still are pretty clear. (They will chip but). Plastic will eventually scratch that much it will look like looking thru fog and you will toss them away.
    I didn't care how fashionable they were when I bought them, I just looked for the best that I could afford that would cover my eyes almost completely and were polarising.
    I have had to replace the frames once and a lense that i smashed and each time it has been a breeze to sort out.
    Their service/manufacturer is in Sydney and all resellers/retailers I have dealt with have commented that the crew there are the best and most effecient to deal with. Each time I have had to do a repair it only ever took days from the moment that I dropped them into a reseller, to mail to Sydney for me, before I got them back.
    They once did a one working day turn around when I desparately needed the frame repaired, and returned them to me in Cairns!!
    I have no vested interest in Mako [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] but I did go as far as getting their mailing address so I could write them a thankyou note for the great product and service i have received from them over the years.
    I never did write it but I guess this sort of makes up for that!
    Cheers [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

G'day Jock,the most important thing about sunies is to make sure they filter out all the harmfull UV and IR light rays.Glasses that do not do this,regardless of cost,will do more damage to the eyes compared to eyes that have no shading at all.This is so because in the unprotected eyes the person squints and the pupil contracts leting in minimal light,put on unfiltered sunies and the pupil dilates and harmfull light rays blast the entire back of the eye ball.Maybe they are all filltered now,I don't know,I have had the same pair for fifteen years.

Jock, if you are in Medibank private, check to see if the table your on covers healthy lifestyle or something similar. I found out i had it after a few years & had enough credit to buy makos 8) @ $245 & Medibank picked up the whole bill.
    cheers