Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pick reel quality

How to pick reel quality

I am in the market for a medium size threadline reel for saltwater use and I would like to know is there anyway to pick quality. All the major reel brands seem to have their line of crap as well as the better lines. The obvious low price crap can be spotted but when you go up the line a bit it starts to get a bit more difficult. It is made more difficult when you look at price especially when there are specials on. Anyone got any ideas?

Re: How to pick reel quality

The way i do it, especially if it is a new brand to the market, find one the size and price of your budget.
    Spin the handle and check for vibration at speed. It should have at least 3 bearings, 2 on the spool shaft and one in the handle + line roller.
    If one has line on it, test the drag system over a few different adjustments. It should be smooth thru all.
    Check the finish of the reel. See if the body is plastic/graphite/alumin. Read the booklet, what is the warranty, is there an agent in your state, or at least in Aust.
    If you are satisfied, compare it to another "brand name" of similar price, and then one costing 20-40% more. Is the dearer one worth the difference? Does the other similar priced one feel or seem better?
    Finally, ask the retailer what he thinks. If he is reputable, you will get a realistic appraisal.
    Hope this helps, as i was trying to decide between an okuma or shimano baitrunner, and ended up buying the okuma, which i have used regularly for 2 yrs of trouble free fishing and saved about $50.

Ill give the shimano 4500 baitrunner a plug, that and penn spinfishers in the big size are the only threadies i havnt had problems with.

G'day Bros.
    I always grab the spool and give it a side to side wobble when it's at it's furtherest extension.
    You'd be surprised just how many have heaps of slop which can lead to premature wear.

I'll put a vote in for the Penn Spinfishers too.
    Just bought a Tica Libra and can vouch for that too - love it, but I'd call that a freshwater reel.

Cheers, Slates

Bros,

Most of my light estuary work is done with cheapies. for around $40 you can pick up a reel that will last for 5 years and catch as many bream whiting flathead as you want.

I tried a cheapper bigger threadline "Ryobi" for some offshore stuff and breakwater type stuff. It last about 8 months and my $86 was gone.

I then decided to spend money and look at the big sizes in the Shimanno and Okuma baitrunner. Most people told me to go Shimanno but with an extra 4 year warranty and for $75 less I got an Okuma Coronada 90.

I've had it 2 years and it has even been to the bottom of the ocean for a while. It's still runs like a dream and is probably the best reel I've got. (Don't treat them all that well).

Personally I look for as much graphite as possible for less corrosion. As many bearings as possible - anti reverse gearing - and most importantly - something that feels solid in your hands when you're playing with it.

I'm not an expert but I'm very pleased with my Okuma.

Bugman

Quote Originally Posted by bugman
    Bros,

something that feels solid in your hands when you're playing with it.

Bugman
    Oh deary deary me

Bah landy you beat me to it, he really set himself up there didn't he lol. Another way to help is spin the handle once and see how long it takes to stop. Holding the reel with one hand also helps gauge the balance at this time also. Cheers.

C'mon Landy, Keep that 'Camp Fire' Humour to your self
    You don't want Ranger Steve to slap you wrists

Mind you, I have seen something throbbing between Bugman's legs ???

His cool Jet Ski

Cheers
    Craig.

The old saying "Ya get what ya pay for" still rings true for me lol.
    But!! apart from a heap of bearings which do make rell so much smoother i like ta look at what the gears are made up of??. eg; Stainless, brass or bronze whatever they use ta make em less sus ta stripping if ya happen ta hook a good fish and ya may be a tad overloaded re line class , Which ofcourse ya shouldnt do .
    Then ide look at what the things made of externally with the hope it wont start corroding the first time ya forget ta wash the thing down.
    Take ya Rod down to wherever you might be buying the reel from and fit it to the rod n test it for balance and ease of use .
    Good Rod n Reel balanced well shouldnt make ya tired of using it all day if need be .
    Cheers

I have to agree 100% with Rob.

Shimano or Penn.....................

I'll keep an eye on Bretts big one though, and see how it handles with age !

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

l always stick with prooven brands like penn and shimano , let others proove the reliability of new manufacturers , it also pays to find a reliable tackle store and stick with them ,they will support you with good advise and discounts in return for your loyalty.you can buy a cheap reel and you can buy a good reel but you cant buy a good cheap reel

ps finally recovered from the m & g

Gentlemen ...
    I'm glad my post created so much mirth .

But if you will notice I did say HANDS .... I'm usually not one to brag but ....

Big_Kev

Like some others I have got an Okuma CD90 as well.
    As a bait runner I rekon it kicks arse with a better warranty than the Shimano and is also a lot cheaper.
    But must warn that as a reel for casting in a situation like throwing slugs at mackrel or tuna it is a pain in the arse.Unless the bail arm is in exactaly the right spot it will slam shut as you cast.%$#@*(&, but is fine when you are not in that pressure situation.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Kev.

Thanks for all the info. I hadn't given the Okuma much attention to date but from the success some have had I have now narrowed my search to AZ 60 or CD 60 as according to their web site they seem to be well made with machine cut gears.
    Thanks for the humour Bugman.
    And Volvo seems like it what you say is all "greek" to me.
    Thanks everyone.

Guys l would like to throw the latest spanner into the works so to speak ,with the most popular reason to buy an Okuma is warranty and thats a valid reason.

As of the 1st of july Shimano has given their reels a 10 YEAR WARRANTY yep 10 years now thats a warranty imagine owning a reel for 10 years with a warranty....

td