Thread: - Whiting Rod - advise?

- Whiting Rod - advise?

okay guys, my range of rods are currently only of the beefy kind and hence no good for bread and butter fishing. I'm looking for a nice blank or prebuilt to mate up to a 1500 daiwa with 6lb fireline, to chase whiting/bream. Something ideal for harvey bey whiting fishing if there were? what should i look for? a slow action? length? 6-7ft okay or need to go 8ft+ what blank rating >1-3, 3-6, 5-8kg? a glass tip?

as whenever i've had a stab at the whiting or bream i've had far too heavy rod and line for the application.

cheers all, any advise would be greatish

Alex

ps, no real price limit, but not spending like 200-400 for a daiwa heartland or gloomis.

Ausfish Addict

Re: - Whiting Rod - advise?

try the cronulla series from tackle world i use it for whiting, bream flathead, even outside floating for snapper, 3.4 mtrs long, its managable in a small tinnie
    cheers.

I recently bought a Daiwa Procaster S - 6'6" - 2 piece. It was primarily a backup for my Procaster X (6') and something in between that and a 7' squidgee spin.

The rod cost me $79. It's teamed with a Daiwa Ondine 1500 and 4Lb fireline.

I have found it to be an excellent rod for whiting, bream and flathead after I damaged the rod I normally use when baitfishing for these species and used the Procaster S in its place.

Certainly worth a look.

PS Best fish so far have been a 42cm bream and a shovel nosed ray/shark of about 3ft - handled both with ease.

I just Purchased from Amart a Silstar Crystal Power Tip on special for $49 for that very job, 7 ft long 6kg max line should do the job well I think teamed with a Shimano Aerocast.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Alex,
    I have tried many different rods for whiting over the years. IMHO the old solid fiberglass rods in about 6-7 foot lenth are the go. You can pick them up at cash converters or garage sales for bugger all. They usually have good cork grips on them (alot better quality than the cork these days). I put new runners on them and you have a brand new rod. You will be able to find one with the right action you are chasing.
    cheers
    dazza