Thread: What size batery for a sounder

What size batery for a sounder

Having just boughta 55lb bow mount, I am looking at how I will manage the extra battery power needed without too much extra weight (as in another deep cycle battery) in the Quintrex Expolrer.
    Would it be possible to use my current deep cycle battery(130 amp hrs) for the electric and run the sounder off a smaller battery eg a motor cycle battery?
    How long will the sounder (M'Bird Paramount) take to drain such a battery. Is this a reasonable solution? What other options do I have.

Re: What size batery for a sounder

Sporty1

Definately use a separate battery for the sounder. Using the same one as the minnkota could cause untold trouble ??? ???. I use a 7ah sealed lead acid battery for my sounder, they're pretty cheap, can't spill and will run most sounders for a week
    How long your 130ah will run the lecy is a bit like how long is a piece of string. I would think about 2 - 2 1/2 hours continous at full throttle, couple of days if used at low speed for sneaking around snags etc.

Kev

Thanks Kev

Where would one get a 7ah battery and what costs am I looking at.

sporty1
    A friend of mine used and u won"t believe it a"rechargable 12v battery" from his cordless drill. He rigged it up using an old charging block/insert/thing u stick the battery in to charge wired to the sounder and he had a second charge unit at home plus 3 batteries. He got approx 6 hours (con't) use from 1 battery.
    It worked great,he just sold his boat and the guy who bought it loved the idea.

Wizard

Sporty1

You should be able to get one at any battery shop,Dick Smith, Tandy etc, they're used a lot in burglar and fire alarms. Should cost less than $45. You may also have to check out a charger. I'm not sure how they react to big chargers,(I use an Arlec chargette charger, about 1 amp).The salespeople should be able to advise.

Kev

Sporty,

I use dry cell rechargable 12 amp batteries for my camping fluro. The double as betteries to run the portable sounder in the tinny. A good 12 am will set you back about $60-80 but yo can get 7 amp for for half the price.

If you want cheap "super cheap auto" sell a Chinese made 12amp for $34 and a 7amp for about $20. Considering you're sounder would pull bugger all - one of thse would do but I can't vouch for their longevity.

Bugman

Justme

Hi Sporty
    I use a 7Ah sealed non-spillable lead acid battery for my sounder.
    It's called a FINDABATT. It measures 15cm Long x 6cm Wide x 9.5cm High. Lasts well over a week without a recharge.
    Purchased mine at Mullet Gut Marine in Toowoomba for around $70. I guess they are available at most marine stores.
    Cheers Larry