Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gps Computer Ploting Program

Gps Computer Ploting Program

Hi all,
    I would greatly appreciate some help. I ahave a gps, but it doesn't plot (have a pic screen). I was hoping you fishos could help me with a freeware or shareware program that i could plot marks on in moreton bay so i know where they are.

Any guidence much appreciated

Chrisso

Re: Gps Computer Ploting Program

Chrisso,
    It is easy. Buy the plastic coated Qld Transport chart of Moreton Bay. It is gridded up for Long & Lat. Use a superfine tip permanent marker pen & put in your marks.Identify your marks numerically as per your GPS or renumber them. They won't be in their exact position on the chart this way but your GPS will get you to them.
    When you head out to fish a particular spot, refer to the chart & bring up the GPS numbers that apply. Low tech but it works.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

the programs i've tried are 'flexgps', 'gps utility' and 'win gps pro' amongst others. these three i've found to be the best for fishing use.
    they are all shareware and have limited functions until you pay some bucks or go find a software crack or patch, #.
    i like flex gps but have never found a crack for it, so map size is limited.
    gpsu likewise with its limited amount of waypoints and map size.
    you should be able to get win gps fully up and running. found a crack for it.
    just make sure your crack version = the software version.
    so you've got one of these packages working. you will need a map, like peter
    says the morton bay qld transport one is o/k, scan it (in segments if necessary) and reassemble carefully with something like photoshop. try to keep the size down so the software is smooth when panning/zooming etc. to do that scan it at about 100dpi and limit the colour depth to 8 bit max.
    once you've got your #map loaded into win gps, you will need to make a data cable from your computer serial port to the boats gps. not that hard to do, but will require a small amount of know how.
    the programs mentioned all down/up load to garmin and magellen gps's, and in most instances any gps with an nmea port will be fine. this can then form a real time colour track plotter if you are keen, and want to take the laptop out in the boat. i would definately not take my laptop out in a boat though. #

it is nice to get it all working and download your track plots onto the map where you can see exactly the spots that were working for you. also a great time waster if nothing better to do.

try 'win gps pro version 3.3.1' and a crack is available for it.
    flexgps my fav but no crack yet.
    if you would like any maps, e-mail me and i might help you out.
    bit reluctant though, as all my digital maps range in size from 200k to 16 meg
    in size #
    even more fun is to use a satellite image to import into the software.
    it should take a few hours searching the net to find anything useable.
    sometimes they are too low res when zoomed right in.

as always, good luck with it.

Hi Peterboe3 and Aido,
    Thanks very much for the help Peterboe3 and Aido. definately have to get a copy of the map and will try the ideas soon when get some free time. Thanks again for the input. Very good methods. [smiley=wiseguy.gif]

Thanks

Chrisso

Really any good mapping software isn't going to be shareware and if it is it will be limited in some way that tends to not make it as usefull as it could be.

There's a shareware version/trial/demo version of Oziexplorer that will do some things with maps but again not as definitive or capable as the real version.

Unfortuneately that's just the way it is with mapping software and charting systems.

Cheers, Kerry.

Oziexplorer would be the best. Easy to use & has a wealth of features.

Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

here's some interesting info for those wanting to
    download and chart their gps data.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dessaix/gpsmap.jpg

my own take on it is to get a pda like a palm pilot and
    have a simple program like flexgps (small resources overhead)
    do the work. think the latest palm pilots even have a built in
    gps decoder

more food for thought.

PCX5 is a discontinued product, only supported Garmin and then not all Garmins anyway.

Quite a few other programs around but, that does similar things as PCX5 did as well as supporting many other makes/models.

Since most units output NMEA and/or are able to be download/uploaded it's no so much attaining the positional data that's the problem as much as the problem of wanting to relate that data to a map or chart.

For wanting to go beyond (sometiimes way beyond) most receivers storage capabilities there's data loggers like these http://homepages.tig.com.au/~robk/datalogger.html that save having to lug a PC or laptop around.

Which ever way one goes electronic mapping will generally come with a catch. The catch is it don't come for free unless it's a "user" type system (you scan, you fit, you get what you get) and generally not as convenient or complete as specifically marketed charting systems.

Some "user" type map display systems http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/idx_mapprog.html

Cheers, Kerry.

Thanks Very much for your info. Very interesting and complicated at that. I'll have to get into it sometime soon when i get some free time and go into it a little further. May even end up buying a program that will plot my locations.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Chrisso

This has got me looking around too, you dont need to take a laptop with you. My mobile phone is a O2 XDA, effectively a palm size hand held computer with a phone inside ( www.myxda.com ). OziExplorerCE would run on it connected to your GPS, plus it has web access, so you can get the latest from BOM, check your email, and log in here, all from the middle of the Bay (Have to admit I emailed my folks in England from Harry's on Sunday arvo). Optus have these on mobile plans at the moment

Ausfish Addict

ken fox flog is the way to go inexpensive @ $99 with tide and solunar updates, first 12 months free, $25 per year after.plus you can keep a log of catch, water temp yadda yadda. Ken will send you a cd free, if you don't like the programme then tuff you are stuck with a coaster. the programme is now compatable with most gps to download / upload. I am not affiliated with this, just like it even tho i dont have a gps i can hook into the pc for the programme.
    cheers
    Joe

Heath: can i get that map of moreton bay off you ?
    or any other maps around that area
    thanks

Vertico,

The maps are very large, too big to send via email. I have basically the whole east coast of Australia as well as some SA & NT charts.

They are also VERY expensive to buy as well.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

wonder where i can find them online, hmmmm
    i got broadband so size isnt really a problem

Quote Originally Posted by vertico
    wonder where i can find them online, hmmmm ....
    Easy answer you won't.

Cheers, Kerry.