Thread: Gps Computer Ploting Program

Re: Gps Computer Ploting Program

Spot on Kerry.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

I went through the same exercise some months ago - trying to find "free" versions of PC software to download/upload from my Garmin. In the end I settled for the freeware version of Oziexplorer. Almost useless scanning maps into this version as you only get 2 reference points to check in the map, however, it is great for editing your existing GPS data and for backup.

I have taken some weighpoints of the local shoreline which gives me good reference points for the ocean points. I store "tracks" and "routes". And I printout sections of the map and leave these on the boat so I don't have to draw all over the expensive charts.

My next investment will be a colour chartplotter. These babies are simply awesome but come at a price - at the moment.

Ok the realization is that this type of system will cost something as it simply won't come as shareware.

This might not be the best solution and there certainly are other solutions but the better the solution the greater the cost. With this one most of the tedious map/geo referencing work is already done and one simply buys the components off the shelf. Not what one might call a nautical solution either but also certainly not as expensive and one gets a complete 250 thou map set that covers the entire country. Something like over 500 maps, which includes a standalone raster display system as well for finding, viewing areas of interest but detail is restrictive due to the scale. Not useful for extracting any points (due to scale) but cetainly would give one a background to see how things (waypoints/tracks/routes etc sit and fit.

Would require

1. Oziexplorer full version (@ $130)
    2. 250K TOPO mapping (@ $99 - 2CD set covers the entire country)

http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/mapping/#GEODATA TOPO-250K Series 2

3. .MAP files for Oziexplorer to match the 250K raster TOPO ECW format
    http://216.218.220.254/eng/aussie.html

Cheers, Kerry.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

In practical terms, rec. fishermen need to focus on a very small area of a map (20 sq kms?) and if you're fishing in areas where the map scale is large such as the Palm Islands where I fish, map backdrops are all but useless in a PC at home. On the boat you could have a laptop connected which will give you online info but not practical (commonly used on ocean racing boats though!).

This is where a chartplotter is about the only useful mapping tool currently available while your on the boat. Although they too are restricted by the map scale, they are nonetheless good value as the zoom capabilities of the Navman and Garmin models I've seen in action give you get a fairly accurate picture of where you are in relation to the map backdrop - all in real-time. They will be very handy for keeping out of the new green zones but they won't stop you running into sandbars and reefs at low tide until the currently available maps are seriously upgraded.

IMHO the best use of the home PC in conjunction with the GPS or chartplotter is an easy way to edit weighpoints and create new ones based upon stored tracks of previous fishing ventures - and this can be done free. Trying to create new weighpoints based upon the map backdrop is simply too inaccurate. You may as well guess it from the chart to get you into the general area.

Ausfish Addict

I use both oziexplorer and flog, have found flog to be more accurate, could be the way i calibrated the maps thou. Have been beside a beacon punched it into the gps then transferred to flog, but on the map there is around 50 mtrs diff, in all not too bad for reference.
    on the left is flog and ozi on the right.
    cheers