Thread: Alvey Deep Sea Reels.

Big_Kev

Alvey Deep Sea Reels.

I have had a 725 alvey matched in an Alvey rod combo for a couple of years and have used it for bottom bashing on many occasions. I find it very good for this application.Although it can be a little slow on the retrieve from very deep water when not pulling up a fish.
    The one to one ratio has seems to provide plenty of grunt when needed when bottom bashing.
    The rod is marked for deep sea and trolling.
    I was wondering if anyone uses these reels for trolling pelagics and what the thoughts would be.
    I have seen in BNB a pic of a guy holding a rod up with a cou[le of hex heads on the line. I guess this has sparked some interest.
    Cheers Kev.

Re: Alvey Deep Sea Reels.

hey kev
    ive noticed a few of the mackerel pros around here use alveys.the good points i can think of is they are tuff as guts and dont require much attention.they dont tend to twist lines like spinning reels and they are also less prone to jamming up from twisted line as a result of trolling a blown out lure or spinning swim or live bait.
    the major down side would be the slow retrieve speed which could result in a fast fish getting slack line on you when running towards the boat.
    having said all that most guys that use them appear to match them to fairly long soft rods which i guess turns them into like a extra large fly rod
    anyway cant say ive ever used one for trolling so i could be way off.
    cheers scott

Re: Alvey Deep Sea Reels.

G'day Kev
    Yeah I have used the alveys for trolling before I had some bigger overheads. Never had any probs with them provided you could place them where the spool was not rubbing on anything. I was using the 925 's and ugly sticks for trolling and then bottom bashing - good allround rig if you don't have the luxury of a rod for every purpose. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Hagar