Thread: looking for new reel

looking for new reel

wondering what's the difference with the amount of ball bearing in the reels.

eg. comparing the okuma avenger with 5 stainless bearings, and the abu cardinal with 3 bearings

i know both are excellent brands, only difference i find in built is that the okuma are much more solid built, although the paint tends to come off. but i guess that happens during rough treatment to anything. and the abu is actually just a plastic body.

pricing is about the same, but i've always thought okuma much more value for money.

soooo any ideas?

also looking at the abu agenda and the daiwa jupiter

any had experience with those reels?

i know they're cheap reels, but i'm a cheap skate so i still want to get every dollar worth out of it

Re: looking for new reel

ive got an abu cardinal spin reel 1000 size, the drag needed an upgrade, but its going the distance for a small reel, hundreds of flatties, dolphin fish, trevally, running 6lb fireline on it. more bearings means more rusted bearings and a smoother retrieve when they are not rusted, i like 3 bearings preferably shielded ones like the spinfishers have, the mighty penn spinfisher is unbeatable the bigger the better 8) the okuma sounds alright, dont own one myself, keep the saltwater out of it an im sure youll be happy.

The difference between s/steel and normal bearings, shielded or not, is a big deal when considering rust. I own okumas' and find them very very good. the secret to longevity is in the cleaning. A LIGHT SPRAY with water, dry off and then a quick spray with INNOX .
    I own okuma ebs/efs 60 +30 plus a metalloid. both these are 10+ b/b reels and are as smooth as silk.
    I also recently purchased a Daiwa samurai 3500. 7 b/b and quite smooth for the $80 i spent. I am going to use it on the snapper here in melb, so i dont know how it will perform.
    Hope this helps

adrian

generenally the more b/b the better . any good tackle shop owner should be happy to show you the difference by showing you different reels if they don't have the time to show you then don't spend your hard earned cash there go somewhere that does!! also buy the best you can afford do not go over your budget or wait till you have the extra cash. both reels are good at what they do again the tackle shop should be the best place as you can see and touch the reels . place them on a simliar rod as the one you want to use it on and see how it feels .

don't let them talk you into spending more than you have or want to .
    hope this helps

anzac

thanks for the help,
    will definately take the advice.

presently i own two okumas and one abu garcia ambassuder (not sure how to spell it).

using the two okumas every week end, and never had a problem with it. think they're great, so i'm leaning towards another okuma.

haven't used the abu garcia yet, cos i got it on my team daiwa interline baitcasting rod.

i know the rod is a rare find, and it's so damn pretty. the though of salt water splashing onto it scares me a little and even worst, slime from a catfish or a eel would just bring me to tears....

it's become more like a display/show off rod than anything else, as it's never actually touched water