Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphite rod advise

Re: Graphite rod advise

tally
    I have a gary howard rod it is a 644 loomis blank I think the only differance is it is underbound and overbound I could be wrong but it has been a great rod

Quote Originally Posted by Tally
    What do you blokes reckon about the PNG Black Bass rods at $219 they have a 20kg rating. I know they are heavy, but good value.

Jay.

I have one and have caught just about everything that swims on it, It is to light to redline 20kg but still a brute stick when it comes to baitcasting, the tip is a bit stiff to cast lighter lures with any accuracy but a 6inch barra lure should be fine.

Loomis's $70 replacement warranty would seem to indicate to me that the rod is actually worth $70. The rest of the price is paying for the name. After all,, the manufacturer is not going to want to lose money on the deal,,is he? Sorry but I get a bit sceptical of high priced equipment,,,after all, when a rod/reel package costs $1000 to $1500 or more,,that is not a hobby or a sport,,it's an OBSESSION.
    When Shimano try and tell me that a poxy egg beater reel is actually worth $1300,,,,,excuse me if I say BULLSHIT!

and whats wrong with an obsession

Krazyfisher(with a name like that, you must be a bit strange),

Yes, saltwater flyfishing is my obsession!!!

I guess that's why I try not to worry about the cost of my gear. I buy gear I want, not because I need it.

I've learnt to buy the best I can afford, rather than get some compromise. I use the gear I compromised with, and am not satisfied, and end up getting what I really wanted anyway. It's more expensive in the long run.

I save a few dollars by buying a lot of my gear 2nd hand. You have to be patient and keep your ear to the ground, but great gear can be had for 1/3 or 1/2 off the retail price. Good gear 2nd hand, is usually in great shape, just like new most times.

"Life's short, fish HARD"

Wes

Big George,,,,,put your glasses on,,I didn't bag Loomis' product, only their price. I see there were no logical arguments re my warranty theory, so maybe I have something there? Also no comment on the Shimano price? Please don't assume me a dunce or a ###### george, you would be very wrong. I too appreciate the value of quality, however,,there comes a point where price is no longer relative to the quality,, I refer that mainly to the Shimano egg beater. My intention here is not to anger..only promote a discussion on our various opinions. Opinions are like bums,,,,everyone has one.
    To me,, anyone who pays $1300 for an egg beater,,is looking for the "Wank Factor",,,,The self proclaimed "king of the jetty" , you've met them in all walks of life,, the bore who can talk of little else except him and his posessions.My point is,, what can a $1300 reel do that say, a $150 to $200 reel can't? If it's life expectancy, surely it would be better to replace your $200 reel 6 times, at least it would look newer.

Hmmmm, cant resist...

My 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by desertfisher
    My point is,, what can a $1300 reel do that say, a $150 to $200 reel can't? If it's life expectancy, surely it would be better to replace your $200 reel 6 times, at least it would look newer.
    Easy...
    1. Knock over 15-20Kg Longtails in 5 minutes .
    2. Jigg 50lb Amberjack to the boat in 5 minutes .
    3. Catch 50kg Dogtooth tuna in 300m of water
    4. Subdue 50lb GT's in under 10 minutes..
    5 ...

The list goes on.

Sure you wouldnt try this with a $200-300 reel, its not possible. And if you did, it wouldnt even last one fish. Once you get above 8-10kg (even above 5kg) of drag, not may threadlines are going to survive. So these reels arent suppose to compete with lower priced reels, they serve a completely different function.

George

the way I see it the better gear is just so much nicer to use and if you have the money why not. The last thing that worries me is the price of good gear, it lasts longer, works better but no good having the best gear and not being able to afford to go fishing

as for you wes you are most likely right

OK fellas,,,most of your points I agree with,, however I still believe there is there is a line to be drawn between good quality equipment and overpriced equipment. I am a motor mechanic by trade,, so i know the difference between the quality of , say , Sidchrome tools versus Chinese rubbish from a $2 shop. However,, I also know when I am being bent over when being asked to pay exhorbitant prices for tools such as Snap-On. I'm just not convinced that the comparative difference in quality is worth the huge difference in price. After all,, how many ball bearings do you need in an egg beater?

desertfisher
    good point with tools they are very much alike maybe if you think about it this way snap on will replace any broken tool for life no matter if it was your fault that it was broken or not as with some of the better brands the extra price not only pays for quality but warranty. snap-on, SK, Gedore tools can only offer this because they charge more to start with and this is why people pay more for their gear so that they get good service believe me a tackle store and the supplier will look after you better when you have paid $600 for a baitcaster or $700 for a good spin reel even $300-600 for a rod than if you have a $60 combo. you also pay for the extra service you get as with snap-on they come to your door. It all depends on what you are using your gear for I would not spend over $60 for a whiting rod but have no problems spending $300-450 on a rod that has to cast 35mm lures right next to a snag and than pull out a 120cm+ barra

Thanks Krazyfisher,,,Hmmmm,,,120cm Barra,,,, do (try) this one day I must . Could I not catch said Barra on a $150 reel though? It may be be podantic but,,, Snap-On do not come to MY door ( because I choose to live in a less populated area ). Also do not Sidchrome offer an unconditional warranty? (snigger) <yes I have been there.
    Also,,,Loomis ask $70 to replace under their warranty,,,does that make it a CONDITIONAL warranty? Or a profitable warranty?
    And what of Shimano's warranty?? Will they come to me when their product fails? I doubt it.

point taken.
    thanks mate
    Stan

ps: Nice strides George [smiley=laugh.gif]

G'day,
    Been away from the computer for the last 5 days, so I missed most of this disscussion.

Big George the $479 loomis rods were the crankbait seires with GL3 or better grade graphite with silicone guides that I was looking at, not the entry level range (GL2). It sounds like you did take offence to the fact that was not prepared to buy a rod sight unseen. I stand by that comment that I will never buy a rod without seeing it first espacially if I am spending $300+. The $275 GL2 is a cash price if I also buy a reel from that particular tackle shop. They knocked $120 off the price of the rod so you can imagine the makup. You claim to be not paid by loomis for endorsing their products but it's obvious that you have a vested interest in trying to sell their products.

Jay.

Callin Harro

I must apologise for previous comments on you doubting my catch. I was informed incorrectly and have since gained more insight that in fact the information was incorrect. Apologise for not clarifying first.

Have a look in the salt water fish photo's at Al's fish, that you have seen before, on the Rod harrison Diawa Rod. It's not going to bad on points. You put it in Fish N Boat 13 years ago. So much water under the bridge. We asked your advice prior to the trip, now people are asking me...... ??? ???

Cheers
    George

Mate, when looking for a good casting rod, you need to take a few things into consideration. Your style of fishing is probably the most important. if you are a heavy handed fisherman or take things a bit easy. the size of lures being used and type of country you intend to fish. Do not just look and one brand, go thru a whole range until you find something that you feel comfortable with and feels natural in your hand. If you cannot find a rod in the shops, then maybe you need to have one made to your specifications.

I think choosing a good rod is a personal thing and is something you need to look at all the options before parting with you hard earned cash.

Good luck

There is a tackle store on the north side of brisbane , not shore where .
    but they sell a custom made called a braid buster 6/8 kg they run 30pound braid for jacks ive had a play with one they had 4kg's of drag on it. very nice rod not that costly from what i can remember.
    then it realy gets ughly