Thread: Trebbles or Standard hook on Raider lures???

DaneCross

Trebbles or Standard hook on Raider lures???

Hi All,
    Just after your opinions when it comes for spinning for mackrel and other pelagics. Should I replace the trebble hooks on the lure (Raider) with say a single 4/0 or leave it the way it comes? Which produces more hook-ups?
    DC

Re: Trebbles or Standard hook on Raider lures???

DC, I've found that a treble seems to hook mack's, but can dislodge more often than a single hook. I read an interesting article in a local newspaper style fishing mag on raider lures used for tailor with the use of 2 standard hook's. One is straight onto the ring and the other has a swivel before the ring which allows it to hang a little lower and move freely about. I haven't tried it on tailor yet, let alone mack's but I have set up a few lure's that way in anticipation. I have however used tuna circle hooks on raider, laser and sea rock lures for mack tuna and longtails in hervey bay. With a better hook up on the tuna's mouth.

HI, If your going to change the treble, go to a VMC treblere or a single fine wire or tuna hook, i use a combination of both, and find on hook up if the mack decided to swim towards you, and unless you can retreive the slack quick smart, treble can be spat, where as a single seems to stay connected.
    regards

NeilD

I have found that the trebles are dropping a few more fish since I changed to fireline so I now use a single either of the rear split ring or on a short wire trace off the front ring. I'm not sure if it works better on the macs but definitly hangs onto the Tailor better.

Cheers
    Neil

I prefer a single hook in the 3/0 or 4/0 size. When I do use trebels, I usually go up a size or two on the standard. Like Webby, I only use VMC hooks.

Clutter

Re: Use a swing hook

Your other option is to change over to a top side rigged swing hook that will hang halfway down the raider (for Spaniards).

Make sure that the hook is a fine gauge so it punches in quick and the loop is 250 kg dyneema in a 5/0 or 6/0. Raider's or Searocks can both be used this way with excellent results.

i have caught hundreds of mackeral and tuna with both styles, how ever i prefer the single hook just because i find it easier to get the hook out. i use a 3/0 tarpon 7766 on a 25 gram halco twisty.