Thread: Down Rigger Line.

Big_Kev

Down Rigger Line.

I have been making up a downrigger using a 725 Alvey for the winch.
    I intended to use 24kg line and an 8lb bomb.I was told that the mono will not do the job and I will need to use 150lb multi strand wire. 150ft is going to cost $95.
    The release clips are also a lot more pricey than I expected and was wondering what else can be used for this.
    Cheers Kev.

Ausfish Addict

Re: Down Rigger Line.

this site may help with the bombs kev, my bro use to use 100 lb mono before he went wire, but he doesnt pay that much for it, will ask next time i am talking to him. hope this helps. btw, mono breaks easier then wire if u hook up on the reef.
    cheers
    Joe

HI Kev, i use 120lb seahorse wire, you dont have to fill the whole spool with it, put some 80lb or 50lb or similiar mono backing on before the wire.
    If your not going to use the release clips, try rubber bands.regards

If you want to reduce line hum and sway then 200 lb braid is usually the best way to go.Combine that with a slim line lead bomb and the net result is a system that hangs deeper on the troll and gives off no tow line vibration (like wires does if your trolling fairly quick).

Not necessarily the cheapest option, just effective instead.

Howdy all

I'm in the process of constructing a downrigger and like Reel Hard was going to use 60lb mono(cause I've got some).I'll only be using the downrigger in impoundments. Why would I need 100lb+ wire just to drag a 6lb bomb? ??? ???
    Also, I've read about using a rubber band instead of the release clip but never seen it explained as to how or what you do with the rubber band ??? ???

Any help greatly appreciated

Kev

RE line, if using your dr in impoundments, mono would be fine i reckon, but when you in deep water and raging current, and using 4-6kg bombs to try hold the bomb somewhere under your rig, the forces applied can sometime even drag these heavy bombs down current, so wire is the only option with no stretch.
    As for the rubber bands you only need light ones, otherwise they wont snap on hook up.
    Put a loop over the mono your and pull the band back thru then attach to your bomb, i put a snap swivel on the bomb eye so you can attach the rubber bank.
    If you feel the mono and dr are twoo close just tye a couple of band together to extend it out further , if you get my drift.
    I find with bands in current and you wnat to have say a 10-15m leaders , the bands cannot handle the strain and offten give wave, whereas a release clip wont.
    But you talking about fishing in current, whereas in still dams you would most likely get away with it.
    Hope you understood all that. ???
    regards

Webby

Thanks, all clear now . Will give the rubber bands a go just as soon as I finish the contraption and get permission from the minister for everything to go fishing

Kev