Thread: SURFACE LURE

SURFACE LURE

I bought a surface(popper) lure for chasing jacks the other day,Its a river 2 sea bubble pop 65,Its also got a feather attached to it which is different, ??? but could be appealing to the jacks .I worked all the rock walls along Coombabah river and Paradise Pt but only got one looker ,no takers.Does anyone know the best way to work these lures when chasing jacks,wether its a fast retrieve, or paused then jerk or whatever.Plus Im using 20lb braid ,running it staight to the lure with no trace line at all,maybe I need mono flurocarbon trace ???
    All these factors may have led to my unsuccessful mornings fishing.

Could someone come through with some answers please as im back at it on the weekend.

Oh does anyone rate this lure ,and is there any others that you would recomend.

Much appreceated Will...

Re: SURFACE LURE

Use bait, live bait if possible.

PG

WILL, I have used a small Rapala skitter-pop recently with a lot of luck chasing Barra and Tarpon.(well, they strike it but often don't take it).
    My tactic is to cast to a likely spot and as the lure lands, give it a quick twitch. Stop, then count about 3 seconds and give one or two very short sharp twitches, count again and repeat that a few times until you're getting too far away from the structure in your opinion and then cast again and again. The lure is only 2 inches or so long but gives a nice 'pop' on the surface. The colour I've used with success is a green back yellow under and it has a small red artificial feather on the trailing trebble. I'm considering sizing the trailing trebble up a bit to see if it improves my hook up rate.
    Hope this info is usefull, good luck !

Willster I would have to agree with Tim that bait would be a better option than your bubble pop lure although they are a very good lure for stuff like small queenies trevally etc. Jacks may take it in the right situation, but particulary during daylight hours they dont seem all that keen to venture too far from thier hidy holes and chasing a fast retrieve lure would certainly do that. Not saying that a jack wouldnt take it but a deep diving lure that gets down closer to where the jacks are living will probably give better results more often. One situation where I like to use stuff like that for jacks is on a hot balmy summer night when the cicadas are chirping and insects are hitting the water. In this situation a slow retrieve with lots of jerks and stops etc can be deadly. regards agnes jack.

G'day Willster,I would head down to Anglers Warehouse at Tweed Heads and ask for Mortien(large size),failing that I would get hold of a Manns stretch 20 in Grey Ghost preferably with the red just under the nose,not covering the whole belly.