Thread: Friction On Double Knot Through Guides

Friction On Double Knot Through Guides

I usually tie a 70 turn Bimini double in 20lb Bionic Braid then connect a 30 or 40lb mono leader using either an albright or a Tony Jones Wind On Leader Knot. I'm having trouble with the double travelling through the line guides where after just a few casts the double knot becomes frayed and then breaks. Seems that the double to leader join becaomes a bit bulky and has trouble getting through the smaller end guides. I use a Shimano Calais baitcaster on a Strudwick 6 foot 6 rod.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Friction On Double Knot Through Guides

20 lb Mono?
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

on pakulas site there is a knot called the slim beauty, give that a go, some rubber getting about that smooths knots, maybe top shot tackle could help..or try a new rod or new guides...

your useing 20lb braid why bother with the Double a lot of fisho writers are saying their not finding it necessary.
    just use good fluro leader
    uni knot to leader no troubles you can cast your arm off.

then it realy gets ughly

On my 20lb and 30lb bionic I only ever use a double uni to connect my 40lb leader. Never had a failure.

Cheers, Clutter

70 turn bimini to double then albright to leader. Make sure you pack those turns down tight though. Its not fun watching the lure fly out and the spool not emptying. A blob of super glue is good on the albright for security and it sems to lower the abrasion on the top ring.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Not quite following this thread. It sounds like you use a very similar setup to me but I'm not getting how your second knot (to the leader) has the chance to travel through the guides? Only the slim Bimini twist for the double should be entering the runners.

Depends how long the leader is. Also how small your top guide is. If you use a lot of wraps on the albright you get a long stiff section that doesn't feed well through the top runner. I reduce my albright down to about 10-12 wraps and cut the tag on the leader very close. It still gets caught every now and then on retrieve but never had problems casting. When it gets caught, I just dip the tip of the rod down so that it has a straight passage throug the hole. It will still have to be retied after a few casts . The super glue just buys a few more casts for you. If you don't want to damage the knot at all, reduce your leader length and don't pull it through the guides.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)